Just Delivered Imac 24" but...!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by demipso, Jul 16, 2009.

1. demipso macrumors newbie

Just got in my brand new Imac 24" my first mac omg its amazingly easy to use lol. No clue why i didn't believe my friends before about switching! Only complaint is none of the firmware updates came with it. I clicked on update and there was a **** ton. Im surprised at apple that they would not send out a system full patched! Especially for the premium price you pay! On to more exploring me Imac!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Nothing new, they let the user upgrade, it sits in a warehouse.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What does it matter, just download the updates and restart.

4. lamadude macrumors 6502

they install the most recent version of leopard when the computers are produced, but after that it spends time in warehouses, stores etc. They can't possibly keep it up to date with every update.

5. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

It;s really not that difficult for the user to do, but for Apple, they would have to take all of the computers out of their boxes, update them, make new installation discs, and then repackage everything. All because of a silly update. Simmer down and just do the updates. People with such high demands like this are what drive the prices of macs to be so high.

6. chandler99 macrumors regular

LOL... you mean instead of a windows system that doesn't require updating..

I use both pc and mac... Mac wins, hands down ;)

7. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

8. demipso thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i hear what you guys are saying. It was easy to install was just surprised because the price tag as is not low. But on the flip side teaches you how to use your mac also. And yes beats PC hand down!! the restarts are just amazingly quick.

9. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

A lot of other things will be quicker too :)

I hate restarting our old pc because you are sitting there for at least 15 min. I was worried mac would be the same, but I am back up and running in about a minute :)

10. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

My old dell laptop took 3 mins to connect to the wireless internet. My mac only takes 10 seconds :D

11. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502

gr8whtd0pe

I cant tell you how many times I have seen brand new computers get 100+ updates from windows update... whats the difference?

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Well, it's not like someone sat down and personally installed OS X on your system. The drive in your Mac was imaged, and images are only updated every-so-often (because a lot of work goes into testing them).

On a slightly different note, Apple does appear to be looking into a way to power/update iPhones/iPods while they're still in their boxes:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...g_active_packaging_for_ipods_and_iphones.html

:)

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So what? It took about an hour for me to download all updates. iMac is fully functional when downloading so that was perfect time for me to play with settings, set up a Time Machine, Mail, iTunes, iPhoto etc.. It's same thing with Windows as well.

14. suekitch macrumors regular

It's still a load better than a Windows machine, trust me! :) It took me an hour to two hours maybe to get everything updated on my iMac with my slow connection (slow for downloading anyway, university, monitored connection etc etc).

At home on 20MB unmonitored broadband it took me a good six hours to get a Vista machine all up and running!!