Just did a clean install of Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cocky jeremy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

And whenever i open a new Finder window, it's opened to the "All My Files" window, even though i deleted that off my list of "Favorites". Not sure why it's doing this. Shouldn't it open to my home folder, or my top favorite folder in the sidebar? Never had this issue before.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Finder > Preferences > General > New Finder windows open:

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Out of curiosity, does this extend to drives attached to my TC in a NAS solution? I noticed yesterday that one of them, an old Samsung that I use as a dump drive was very slow in copying files across from my (Wired) iMac.

The other three drives in that array are brand new. Would it be good practice to mount them all on my iMac and allow indexing to take place?

4. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Wow, i'm blind. I feel dumb now. lol. Thanks for the quick reply, though. :D

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure I follow you. What I posted was to set Finder's preference for how you want new Finder windows to open. It applies to any new Finder window, regardless of what external or network drives you have attached, and doesn't relate to indexing at all. Can you explain a bit more?

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Sorry, I meant to quote another thread, my bad.....Indexing and external NAS drives was my question...Three as I said are brand new, although they contain data such as my iTunes library, stuff I'm working on etc.

Are these drives included in the initial indexing process, and if so, should I mount them on my iMac when I'm not using it to allow the process to complete?

Sorry about the confusion.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you need to search any drive, whether internal or external, those searches are more effective if the drive is indexed. You can choose when to index a drive, by starting the process manually.

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes

I hope that answers your question. If not, let me know.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

9. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

How did you go about the clean install. I hear you can just boot into recovery mode wipe reformat and re-download lion.