Just did a very stupid thing - fried Macbook via USB hub?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by grum, Apr 29, 2010.

1. grum macrumors regular

I just accidentally plugged the wrong power supply into a USB hub which was plugged into my Macbook - everything went pop and there was a burning smell from around the usb ports. It won't switch on now thought the battery still charges.

:(

Luckily I backed up last night. Haven't taken out the HD yet to see if that's ok.

Does anyone know what the likely damage is and if it is likely to be worth repairing? It's 3 and a half years old. I will try taking it to an Apple repair centre but the nearest one is quite a way away.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ouch. You likely fried some aspect of the logic board, which will be an expensive repair. You could try all the various resets, but if it won't power on that's a pretty good indicator of a catastrophic failure.

3. grum thread starter macrumors regular

OK thanks - tried resetting the SMC and the PRAM. Still dead. :(

Logic board repair probably likely to cost about the same as my laptop is worth?

Hmm is this a good excuse to buy an i5 Macbook Pro?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't know what the current prices for logic board replacement are, but I can't imagine it being less than several hundreds of dollars. At that price I'd probably just get a new machine. It'd be nice if the hard drive was salvageable, though.

5. grum thread starter macrumors regular

Yup that's what I suspected. I'll try putting the hard drive in a caddy and hopefully that might be ok.

Will see if I can claim on house insurance.

Thanks for your help.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Usually the logic boards run about the same as a Macbooks used price. But you can likely get a couple hundred on eBay if the case is in great condition.

Just sell as is for parts only. Then describe what happened, take many detailed photos and give a detailed description of the machines specs and any included peripherals.

7. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Boy that's a bummer. Sorry to hear about it... I've come across dead Macbooks that I have to assume suffered the same fate as yours... just over a year old, totally confused, won't boot or do anything at all, battery is an absolute brick...

I never plug any of my comps into the wall without a surge protector of some kind in place. Also, when you plug in a computer always put the plug into the wall first. Give the power supply a second to get the current under control, and then plug in your computer.

I know none of that helps you now, sorry. I hope you get good market value for your laptop. Heck, I'll buy the parts off of you if you want to sell them... $200?

8. grum thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone.

quantum I'm in the UK so it's probably not worth shipping it to the US but thanks for the offer.

The case isn't in amazing condition though the whole top section and keyboard were replaced recently under warranty due to the cracking issue. I guess the battery and the power adapter are at least worth something.

9. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, what was the power supply for that you ended up plugging in?

10. grum thread starter macrumors regular

Think it was for an external USB hard drive. Just a moment of stupidity in not checking it was the right one.

11. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

The LCD would probably be the biggee... you could get $80 for it alone.