Just did something stupid and need your help. SSD related.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devyhevy, Sep 5, 2011.

1. devyhevy macrumors member

Hey everyone. I need some help.

Just bought an OWC SSD and data doubler to use on my brand new Macbook Pro. I removed the optical drive and installed the SSD and Data Doubler on its place.

I ended up forgetting that I would need the optical drive to install Snow Leopard on my new SSD. So now I got no optical drive and two hard drives, one being the original and the other the SSD.

I managed to get Snow Leopard on my USB flash drive but how do I get it to install on the SSD and make the SSD the bootable hard drive and then erase everything on the original HD and just use it for storage? Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance!

----------

Just so you guys know, I planned on installing Snow Leopard than downloading Lion from the Mac App Store but I just ran into this...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186

How should I proceed with all this? =/

2. S7A2G6 macrumors member

S7A2G6

Plug in the USB in and reboot while holding the "option" button. You will then be able to select where to boot from.

3. devyhevy thread starter macrumors member

Hm... thank you.

I just found this video on Youtube which is the exact same thing I'm doing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK1JpHsNePc

However I do now know if I need the paid version of super duper to get this whole "cloning" done.

Do I need to get the SSD on the same slot as the original HD and move the original HD to the data doubler? Would that do any good?

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

"I do not know" vs. "I do now know" is a huge difference.

If your old drive is a bootable drive, you can clone it to the SSD in the free version of SuperDuper!

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:confused: If both the HDD and SSD are installed, then just use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the original HDD onto the SSD. Then format the HDD.

Unless your HDD has more data than the SSD can hold, in which case you probably won't be able to clone it. Then I think you'd have to delete stuff until you're able to clone it.

6. devyhevy thread starter macrumors member

I've tried copying them with SuperDuper but for some reason I get an error, something that looks like a kernel panic. This is weird.

Can anyone else help?
    I got my OWC SSD placed as main hard drive and the Hitach HD (that came with the Macbook Pro) is on the data doubler but it is being used to boot the OS.

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

This placement is wrong..put you SSD in the OD bay and your ODD in the HDD slot..you'll need the vibration dampening of the HDD slot..CCC your HDD to your SSD leaving out the "nice to have" programs..you'll be fine..

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

As noted: SIZE matters.. What are you moving From and To..?? :confused:

A 750GB Square Peg into a 240GB Round Hole not go so good.. :rolleyes:

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Good time to evaluate what you need (use) and don't...

10. tonywang.xmpt macrumors member

ahhh. that makes a lot more sense now.
    I did this awhile back and I made it so that my HDD is in the data doubler and the SSD in the original spot.
    This explains why when I finally switched the OG HDD 5400rpm to a 7200rpm HDD, the sound was a lot louder and noticeable. The HDD I bought was suppose to be initially quiet and I thought my new HDD was defective. But I guess it wasn't.
    Thanks for the info :p

On another note (helping the original post),
    I always found installing any OS from a USB to your computer to be a COMPLETE hassle. Whether it be Mac OSX or Windows, it's still a pain in the ass.
    The simplest solution I can think for you is to get an external case to put the optical drive you took out from your computer and have an external optical drive connected through USB. That's what I did. (OWC has a newly released external case JUST for the people who decided to do the data doubler thingy)
    Another solution was suggested by previous posts. Have your OSX already installed with the optical drive and "copy" the data through SuperDuper! or w/e application and put it on the new hard drive.
    In actuality, there's quite a lot of options for you to do to install the OSX. Just think of a clever way and you'll be happily using 2 drives in your computer.