Just discovered a problem with my screen 9c9E

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iag48, Jun 26, 2009.

1. iag48 macrumors regular

I was going through one of those "Post your desktop pics" thread on another forum when I noticed something was wrong. As you know many of the desktop pics people post are very wide and require side scrolling. Well as I was side scrolling I noticed the image would jag on the edges and also the webpage.
    I pulled out my black Macbook to see if the same would happen but it did not.
    I guess I have to take my 13" MBP to the apple store tomorrow.:mad:

2. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

Can someone with a 13 inch macbook pro go to the apple.com/store website, zoom in until side scrolling is enabled and then scroll side to side at various speeds? The images seem to "crack" even when scrolling sideways at a slow pace.

Anyone? thanks.

3. fpnc macrumors 68000

I'm not sure what you are seeing, but I suspect it has nothing to do with the display. It's probably just a slow redraw caused by the video card. My 2.0GHz Aluminum MacBook shows some image tearing when doing a side scroll with a high zoom factor in Safari. IMO, nothing to worry about.

4. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

5. HFU macrumors regular

This is not the issue with 9C9E LCD. It is the issue with all Nvidia chip uMBP, MP models that Apple need to fix. Not only you will see scroll distortion side to side, you will see the ripple effect about two-third down the page when scroll up and down in this page:

http://www.apple.com/startpage/

Connecting to external monitor showed the exact same effect, so it is not the laptop LCD panel issue.

This issue has been mentioned here:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1754963&start=0&tstart=0

But Apple does not seem to have a solution for it still!

6. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular

I did not see the ripple effect. However when searching through craigslist.org for example, I get cracks/flickers when I scroll up/down.
    So what your telling me is that if I change it for a new one, the problem will still exist?

7. HFU macrumors regular

Yes, if you exchange another unit you would see the similar effect. The ripple effect is the cracks/flickers you observed, and only appeared when you scroll up/down in certain speed under certain web content. Someone mentioned it has something to do with Apple's WebKit which needs to be updated to address Nvidia graphics chip. You may try Opera browser, or run Safari, Firefox within a Virtual Machine under Parallels or VMware Fusion, it won't show the scroll distortion.

I went through this exchange process and my second unit showed the exact same thing, so are all the new mid-2009 display units 13"/15"/17" in Apple retail store.

8. iag48 thread starter macrumors regular