Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fugel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
as i mentioned here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/392280/

my system is going a bit weird, with like errors when opening programs, some apps not opening at all and my security pane not allowing me to open it.

now, i have discovered something very wrong with the widgets...

i really hope my laptop isn't broken :(
I got it a year ago this week :(

please help.

thanks

Attachments

• whatswrong!.jpg
    whatswrong!.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 61

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Your laptop isn't broken, it's fine :)

You need to re-install OS X completely. This isn't a hardware issue, it's software (almost definitely).

Back up the files you want first, and then wipe the hard drive and re-install OS X.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Your laptop isn't broken, it's fine :)

You need to re-install OS X completely. This isn't a hardware issue, it's software (almost definitely).

Back up the files you want first, and then wipe the hard drive and re-install OS X.

Isn't it a bit hasty to recommend this? There are a few things we can try before using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Isn't it a bit hasty to recommend this? There are a few things we can try before using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Sometimes that hammer is just what you need.And I concur in this case..There was an update and it happened.Tells me it is software related and a fresh,clean install will do wonders most of the time.

Even the OP's Safari will seem snappier :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Sometimes that hammer is just what you need.And I concur in this case..There was an update and it happened.Tells me it is software related and a fresh,clean install will do wonders most of the time.

And take a whole lot longer than the time that it takes to reapply the update which is very painless, easy to do, and could well be the answer. After all they are going to have to install the exact same update anyway so if you are downloading it you may as well see if it fixes it with in 2 minutes rather than spend 1+hours getting your system back. If it doesn't work then by all means take down the entire system plus you will already have the update downloaded.

Fugel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
thank you all for your help!

fingers crossed it works :)

when i installed all the updates last night, straight after i had that random grey screen thing which tells you to restart the laptop - so hopefully all that went wrong was a bad update.

thanks once again :D

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006

Exactly. The likelihood is that the update has done irreparable damage to system files which it shouldn't touch (this happens). Re-installing OS X is the only way around this...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It would help a lot if the TS posted the O/S version to start with.If it was an update from Tiger to Leopard a fresh install is in order.If it was an incremental update from one point to another a re-install of the update might fix it and would be worth a try before re-installing but Leopard is best dealt with through a clean install.

Fugel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
it was just an update from like 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 or something.

i wish i had been upgrading to leopard, but im being forced to wait till xmas for that :p

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Exactly. The likelihood is that the update has done irreparable damage to system files which it shouldn't touch (this happens). Re-installing OS X is the only way around this...

Or the update messed up some files that would get repaired by reinstalling the latest combo update (this also happens) I have had a similar problem in the past which was resolved by reapplying the combo update. Why would you nuke the system so easily when a 2 minute job could fix the problem.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Ah I thought it was an update for Leopard.

The reason I said was because the .1 Leopard update didn't have anything to do with the glitches the OP was talking about (it was simply a newer version of Finder).

Fugel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
I downloaded the combo update thing, but it doesnt do anything when i click on it.

does that mean im gonna have to completely re-install tiger, cos if thats the case i'm just gonna get my rents to buy me leopard now so i can install that instead of tiger

would that be a sensible thing to do ?/

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The combo update didn't even open up when you double clicked on it?

Repair your permissions and do a verify disk.

[edit] please let us know what your specs are [/edit]

Fugel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
i can't repair my permissions, disk utility wont open.

oh why cant technology just work. would be so much easier :p

Specs:

2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro
1gb Ram

Software version 10.4.11

i don't know what else i need to put, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.