Just done a clean install from the Leopard drop in disk now iLife apps are missing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ish, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Title says it all, really. New MBP came with Tiger, installed drop in disk yesterday. iLife was there then and everything was fine until I tried to use migration assistant. Got in a mess when nothing was where it should be so today decided to start from scratch.

Today during install I noticed I could do a clean install from the drop in disk so decided to try that. Worked well, transferred all my files over then noticed the iLife apps weren't there. They are not on the MBP at all.

There's nowhere obvious on the install disks to install only certain apps so it looks as though I'll have to start again. Thought this was supposed to be easy! :(

I'm running the Leopard installer again just in case. If they're still not there I guess that's the difference between the drop in and the retail version. It would have been nice to know beforehand if that's the case. I'll post the results when it finishes installing.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You have to put in the discs that came with it for Tiger and install them from the bundled software. Leopard doesn't include iLife and since you wiped everything, you now have to add it back in via your Tiger discs. Also make sure you download and install the updates to Leopard and iLife for compatability.

4. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

No matter how many times you reinstall Leopard, you're never going to get iLife to work..

iLife doesn't come with Leopard ;-)

You'll have to install it with the bundled software from Tiger..

5. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

No, it's not part of the OS is it. :eek: My brain's a bit done in at the moment!

Had a look at the 'bundled software' but didn't know what was in it. Heigh ho. It's off to do it again I go.

Will Leopard + bundled software give me everything or would you advise putting everything back and using the Leopard upgrade?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Why clean installs are a bad idea, Exhibit A.

7. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

You've always been nice to me before, IJ Reilly! Now I feel even worse! :(

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I heard that if you just do the upgrade and then put your drive in the washing machine, spin cycle only, that all the old data you don't need will come loose. Then you don't have to go through the hassle of a clean install, or worry that there is junk still in your system.

What do you mean someone put battery acid in my coffee?

I haven't been disseminating. I merely present facts from an alternate universe. Ok, fine, they're just voices in my head. Please don't ask them to sing.

9. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

I apologise for the stupid thread brought about by an acute case of brain failure after a bad day. I'm not normally like this; well, not this bad anyway! I'm embarassed. :eek:

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh it worked then, did it? ;)

Sorry, I didn't mean to hold you up as a bad example, but may others learn from it.

A paragon of discretion, as always.