Just done a experiment with IOS8 pictures

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by paulj48, Sep 19, 2014.

1. paulj48 macrumors newbie

I have 4GB of pictures listed in the 'manage storage' section in iCloud storage on my iPhone5s. I am on the 20GB storage plan and I had 300MB of free space on my phone.

I have just tried to download a 1GB map in a mapping App I have, after approx 300MB of the download the App crashed, I now have zero free space, now in theory should the phone not have deleted local copies of my photo's to free up space?

2. paulj48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just noticed as well in Photos collections I have listed 1426 Photos but in system-general-about it lists 1863, how is this?

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Apple photo management is one of the Seven Universal Mysteries. One day, after we die, we will meet the great Jobs and this Mystery will be revealed.

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Do you have iCloud Photo Library enabled and configured to optimize space on the phone? Right now IPL is still listed as being in beta, and for some reason, it's not even available as an option for a lot of people to turn on. At this point I'm not sure anyone knows what makes it available.

5. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

This may be a dumb question, but turning oh Photo Stream in Settings/iCloud/Photos doesn't enable iCloud Photo Library automatically, does it? I have that enabled on my two ios 8 devices as well as iCloud Drive. My iPad, which has a lot more storage than my phone, was already storing all my photos in my entire library, so I was hoping they would now be visible on my iPhone, but they're not.

6. BrettDS macrumors 65816

That's correct. Photo stream and iCloud Photo Library are two different settings. And as I said above, for some reason, iCloud Photo Library doesn't appear to be available to everyone at this point. Photo stream works just as it did in iOS 7

7. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thanks for your quick reply! That explains it. I thought I was missing something! All that comes up in my photo settings is the option to enable Photo Stream. In that case, once iCloud Photo Library is enabled, I should be able to at least view all the photos on my iPad's library (which goes back to like 2009) on my iPhone, right?

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Right. iCloud Photo Library will sync all your photos to the cloud (and optionally remove the high resolution version from your device to save space), so all of your photos are available on all of your devices.

9. bollyboy macrumors regular

Hi

Is there any option to save full Res Shared albums to the phone, i work where there is often no Wifi and limited data signal and the pictures constantly say "loading" as there unable to optimise.

Thanks