Just don't get it

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rcflex, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Rcflex macrumors member

Rcflex

Hi all,

I'm a bit bothered by this... It's the fact Apple Say's they used the great optics/lenses created for the Phone 4S and implemented it to the tablet... That's wonderful, though why did they use a 5 MP cam and not if at least the 8 MP cam that's in the 4S?

They should have had a good price for the 8 mp cam's as they used them in the
    4S...

Well, I like the device, just had to vent something that bugged me...

Peace to all...

Rcflex

2. ghett0tech macrumors member

3. Rcflex thread starter macrumors member

Rcflex

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The iPad is not a point-and-shoot, why waste a perfectly good camera lens (or waste unnecessary money) on a device that might not even use it to its full potential.

5. Rcflex thread starter macrumors member

Rcflex

Good point, Thank you....

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Where I feel Apple really skimped out on was the front HD camera. Wish it was better. The image on the other end of an iPad-Facetime is terrible.

7. Rcflex thread starter macrumors member

Rcflex

Yeah, agree, just wasn't going to mention it as I am not trying to put Apple down or anything....

8. GJBenn85 macrumors newbie

An 8 MP camera is not necessarily better than a 5 MP. Unfortunately, MP has just become a marketing gimmick since the average consumer doesn't know a thing about photography and how little MPs actually matter when it comes to image quality. Same crap occurs with consumer cameras where consumers think "Oh, I must buy this camera since it is 14 MP!" when the reality is it produces crappy, grainy pictures with poor dynamic range because there are too friggin' many pixels crammed into the small sensor.

9. A2DY macrumors member

I don't really see the need for a better camera (not sure if the 8mp is any better than the 5mp?)

Since having my ipad I don't think I have taken any photos using the camera. If I want to take a picture I take my iPhone out of my pocket and use that. It's much better sized for camera use. Then I view the picture on the iPads bigger screen when photo stream syncs them. Makes much more sense than holding a huge iPad up to take a photo.

10. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

I hear u.

Agree with everyone saying how ridiculous shooting a pic with an iPad is, but reality is they did implement a camera and they could've used a better one , apple skimpped out to make more money less cost to them. They coulda done a lot of things with this iPad 3 but they didn't because they know people can settle with the retina display alone justifying the purchase

Apple is smart, and smart isn't about being generous

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

Increasing megapixel size without increasing the image sensor size (or the size of the photosites) is a very bad thing. (Sony? Are you listening???)

5MP is probably the max you would want to go for the size of the image sensor in cell phones and tablets.

12. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

You could make that argument for having a rear camera at all though. I think it's highly unlikely my iPad rear camera will ever take a single shot. If you have a smartphone it's easier to hold, with you at all times, and in the case of the 4S, has a better camera anyway, so why wouldn't you just use that instead? That's the part I don't get, not just whether or not the rear camera is any good, what the point of it is for the majority of buyers who will likely never use it. A better front camera would have been far more useful.

13. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

except that the 4S 8MP sensor is provably better than the 5MP used in the ipad, everything else being equal, lower sensor size will likely give a better picture, but the 8MP sensor in 4S is a generation newer, and the other parts of the design make it better all round. But yes, is the 4S sensor was otherwise the same improved tech, but 5MP it likely would be even more preferable.

14. xraytech macrumors 68030

Here's the thing, is the average person going to use the iPad as an everyday Point and Shoot camera or Video camera?

It's nice to have but the most I ever use it for are for FaceBook and Twitter Updates.

15. Oscar0990 macrumors newbie

Im fairly new here on this forum.... But its soooo damn amazing at the stupid things people complain about here on this forum. I have a feeling all these people complaining are the same who wanted OSX on the ipad when it was launched....

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I know the arguments against it, but personally, I'd love to have a better camera and lens in the iPad. The big screen makes composing shots like using a view camera. Great for landscape work.

17. xraytech macrumors 68030

In your case, yes, a bump in resolution would be nice.

Wow, I don't think anyone on MacRumors, but a chosen few, know what a "View Camera" is.

18. sphinx99 macrumors member

I for one don't think the 4S camera is actually capturing 8MP of detail. From what I've seen, it's closer to what you'd expect from a 5MP bayer sensor anyway. So, I have no complaints about the new iPad rear camera.

The front camera truly is a shame, though. Apple usually is pretty thorough about their design, so I can't figure out why they would choose to put such a lowly camera on it the front.

19. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

iPad's camera is leagues better than it was before..

but now that there is PhotoStream.. i don't need a camera at all. Every picture my 4S Takes is automatically uploaded to my iPad which is, to be honest, incredible.

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I see where your coming from, but in my original post I mentioned that photo sites had to be enlarged to improve the picture which is what Apple did:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/10/why-the-improve-camera-in-the-iphone-4s-is-good-news-for-shutterbugs.ars

As for why it wasn't used in the iPad, I don't know, it could have been a space issue.

21. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

From another viewpoint... I see a huge number of iPads when out and about.

Yet not once, have I seen anyone hold it up to use as a camera.

Many on this forum, are hyper critical of the size of an average Android phone and how dumb it would look holding it up to use as a phone.

Using ones iPad as a camera would be a rather funny sight :)

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I would like to have seen the 8mp camera go into the iPad3 but after it did not happen, I have not had another thought about it!:p

23. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Because next year they will add the 8MP camera and everyone will go weeee, "a new camera on the new iPad" and a HD FaceTime camera and again everyone will go weeeee, and go out and buy one...that's business and that's Apple!

24. truthiness macrumors regular

The only reason I'd like to see the 8Mpix camera in the iPad is to keep it consistent with the output of the 4S.

With that being said, the video coming out of the new iPad looks more than acceptable.