Just downloaded iTunes 8.2 last night... iTouch not recognized!!! Help, please.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Riversen, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Riversen macrumors member

Riversen

I just downloaded the new iTunes 8.2 last night and now iTunes says that it sees an iPhone, but does not recognize it. It asks me to unplug it and replug it back in. This does nothing. I have uninstalled iTunes and then reinstalled it. I have done everything short of resetting my iTouch. I just got this last week and am already thinking of returning the 32GB iTouch if it won't work from a simple iTunes upgrade! What the heck???

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you fix it? If not fixable at this point, then what can I do to get my old iTunes back? :confused:

2. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Did you jailbreak it previously? Just a guess, because iTunes 8.2 is reported to have problems with jailbreak tools. Here is more info and instructions on restoring 8.1:

http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/06/itunes-82-breaks-the-jailbreak/

(but it looks like one should be careful where the linebreaks are on that long terminal command)

3. Riversen thread starter macrumors member

Riversen

What does jail break mean? I would say a definite no, since I don't know what...

... that means. I have been postin in Apple's forum, too, and there are a slew of us with the same issue. We all exprienced this after upgrading to iTunes 8.2. I have gone through the diagnostics and support documents and un-installed the app and re-installed it. I reset my iPod Touch. I read about one guy who restored his iPod completely and installed iTunes 8.1 and it worked fine and he was able to sync. He is avoidig iTunes 8.2, too.

4. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Since you don't know what jailbreaking is, I guess that's not the problem. ;)

Sorry, I don't know what to suggest. I was able to sync my 1G touch with iTunes 8.2 on my PM G4 with no big issues. (I have found that syncing the touch is always entering a wacky world of unexpected experiences though.)

5. hotrock3 macrumors member

I never download an update right away, there are always problems and the last thing I want to deal with is the update screwing something up. I usually wait for the x.x.1 update.

6. bobrun000 macrumors newbie

itunes is not reading my itouch!! help plzz

hey idk what version my itouch is but i need to fix it asap. when i open itunes my itouch is not read and so i cant restore my itouch.

help please:(

7. nder macrumors newbie

iPhone/iPod Touch not recognized workaround

Ok, I've found a workaround on a thread by Apple's.

According to that poster (he has an iPod Touch), Apple Tech Support told him to disconnect his computer from the Internet, and then try to connect his iPod Touch. This worked for him. I just tried it and it works reliably.

After reading the post I plugged out my Internet connection from my laptop, and then connect my iPhone. It was detected. I repeated this 4 more times and each time the device was detected and came up in my iTunes sidebar. I then restarted my machine and tried it again 5 times. It worked all 5 times. When I reconnected my machine to the Internet, the problem came back the very next time I plugged my phone in.

Now this workaround begs the question of why iTunes need the Internet to "recognize" an iPhone or iPod Touch. Could Apple be implementing new measure to control jailbreaking?

8. simeezee macrumors member

very interesting point.

9. nder macrumors newbie