Just Dread Apple Watch Updates

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Why is it that every single update takes forrrrever?

Am I doing something wrong but I have gotten to the point I just can't stand doing them across three watches. It does not ever happen over night and mostly when I take one off the charger and put it on for the day.

I get the friendly pop up, hey there's an update. Oh sure I have an hour to waste sitting here waiting for you to download and then install a dam update. So I end up at some point sitting there doing them all at once. Why does this have to be so painful?

rgyiv

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2018
My Series 2 was like that about 10 months ago, but lately they've been updating in relatively reasonable amount of time, probably 15 minutes max.

I would try hard-resetting both your phone and watch, and make sure your phone is completely up to date as well

And worst case scenarios, repairing or factory resetting.

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Crap is there a new update?

My cellular still doesn't even work on mine because I need to re-pair it to sync it up, and I've basically just refused to take the time, and mess up all my crap.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
Disable bt on phone in settings and ignore warning in watch app, then update is transferred by wifi in no time. Rest is the actual update on watch.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
It's gotten way better. I've had Apple Watches since the very beginning... and the first updates took hours. Now with my Series 3 it's drastically improved.

jazz1

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Crap is there a new update?

My cellular still doesn't even work on mine because I need to re-pair it to sync it up, and I've basically just refused to take the time, and mess up all my crap.
Last time I did the update it killed my cellular. It took two hours on the phone with AT&T to get it working again. I dunno, maybe it was AT&T, not the update. But it happened at the same time. I haven't don't the latest one yet. I guess I'll see if it dies again.

Dino F

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I always just get a message on my phone saying there is an update available for my watch and it then asks me to input my PIN number for my watch and that it will update 'later tonight'. I just then place my watch on the charger overnight and by morning, it has updated and is ready to go.

:apple::)

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Updates on my S4 have been a dream, they finish quickly. This last update was done in under 15 minutes which included downloading and installing it to the watch. S2 takes significantly longer, although Watch OS 5 is an improvement over updates on OS 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.