Just experienced a really weired crash... I'm worried

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vbman213, Jan 17, 2011.

1. vbman213 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I own parallels desktop 6 and windows 7 ultimate. Earlier today I decide to boot up my virtual machine, update windows, and do a little coding in VB.NET

Parallels informed me that my Parallels tools were out of date and so I proceeded to update them. Midway through the install my Mac crashes in such a way that it actually hurt me physically. If I remember correctly the install was updating the drivers on the vm when this happened...

All of a sudden my computer beeps very loudly. I was wearing earbuds so my ears took the full brunt of the sound. Then my MBP froze. Totally unresponsive. The only visible activity was the sleep indicator light was blinking... Not pulsing, but blinking steadily...

I'm trying to figure out if this was entirely caused by Parallels. I noticed that when I rebooted my VM after hard reseting my MBP that windows 7 required a repair and would not boot. But windows was able to repair itself and is now working just fine...

Explanation? In worried that this is an indicator of a serious hardware problem...

2. vbman213 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I would highly appreciate some comments regarding this issue... This was the first crash I have experienced since purchasing my computer last June.

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Sounds like a windows problem not a mac problem.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Parallels can make a Mac less stable in my experience, which I think is the main compromise they make to achieve speed increases over the slower but more reliable VMWare. Although you'll have to go through your logs to see the sequence of events that led up to the crash that's definitely the point I would begin to look.