Just finished designing my blog!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by feedmeister, Jul 26, 2009.

1. feedmeister macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I just finished designing my blog, and I'm quite pleased with it. It's just an idea I had and I'm planning to go with it. Please let me know what you think of the design and flow of the website.

The link's in my signature. Thanks in advance for any constructive criticism.

2. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

I don't like the logo... I would go white and something other then a apple logo.

3. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I got stuck there so I just went with it. :p I'll definitely change it, but just didn't know how to make the logo say what the content is when I was designing it.:eek:

4. King James macrumors member

logo I'm indifferent about. I do like the layout tho, very clean

5. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, King James. The more I keep looking at the logo, the more I think it needs to change. I do think it serves its purpose well for now though instead of just the text.

6. shesmu macrumors newbie

Start using Akismet plugin, because you already have one spam comment. )

Regarding design, it's nice. Of course, using the Apple logo is not good idea, but I believe you know it yourself.

One minor thing I would do is remove author name from the post info. Since it's your personal blog, every entry will be posted "by Rafeed", so it doesn't make much sense. )

Good luck with your blog!

7. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

shesmu,

Thanks for the feedback! I agree, so I removed the author name, and I also 'edited' the spam comment name to the match with the spammer's email address. :p

8. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

here are some ideas for logos... pm for psd. Also you should set the banner as a home link.

Attached Files:

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'll check back when there's some content. Design looks fine, but there's no point in visiting a blog with nothing to read on it.

10. Greedo Guest

typography is wonky; do not track out the sidebar headers. comment number is far too important from a hierarchy standpoint, leading is too tight on the masthead.

11. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I like these. But I would use the :apple: as the A and not the C. Just my opinion, though.

12. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for those ideas clancemaster! I'd prefer making them on my own, so no need for the PSD's but they're definitely going to help me get in the right direction. :)

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I practically have no content right now, but before I did, I wanted to make sure I had a sound design.

Greedo, thanks for the feedback, although, I was wondering if you could explain what you meant a little more.

ian.maffett,

I see your point with the :apple: logo. I think it could go either way, really. It would definitely work better if the bite on the apple was more pronounced than the regular :apple: logo.

13. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Nice layout

Nice layout and have to agree with others need some content and than give opinion's from there.

As for your signature and the nations fastest 3G network , well your either on Sprints or Verizon's network because AT&T's 3G is NOT the fastest, actually its horrible compared to the other two listed. But your new and will find out on your own

14. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback.

About the nation's fastest 3G network, it was a parody and not what I actually believe. :p I saw a commercial one day and it said that so it was pretty random, and from a while back. Anyways, thanks for the info. Could've sworn it was Verizon :p

15. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

The design overall is pretty indistinct, so the logo definitely needs to be something unique and nice. I like the designs shown earlier in the thread, but to use the apple logo without modification is going to be a copyright issue if the blog ever attracts Apple's lawyers' attention.

16. Greedo Guest

sidebar headers (stay up to date, recent posts, etc.) have too much letter spacing, looks bad.

number of comments was very large text size, making it more important than it needed to be. (tho at the moment i do not see them anymore)

the line spacing on the header text to the right is too tight.

17. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm definitely working on that.

Thanks for clearing that up.. I'll work on it.

18. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

Hey Guys,

So I cleaned up the logo replacing the a with the apple and cleaned up some formatting issues. What do you guys think now? I'll be posting some new content soon, so I got the point about no content ;)

19. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

No, the font in the logo still doesn't work at all. Use Myriad pro or some other heavier font, it doesnt even match the apple in height.

20. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I've been out of it for way too long it seems :p

I'll work on it and update in a bit.

21. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I gave it another go. I took a bit of inspiration from clancemasterj on this one.

Let me know if it's still a no go. It's definitely been way too long :p

22. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Much better, but still doesnt quite fit as a letter. Type a c in it's place and then fit the apple to match the curve of the C and it'll look a lot better.

23. feedmeister thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your feedback adamfishercox, I appreciate it. I'll work on it and post again sometime later.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! If you have anything else to add, feel free. :)

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nice clean layout, lacks content clearly and STOP using the Apple logo! Any recommendations on logos with the Apple logo should be trashed.