Just for Clarification, Jailbreaking iPod Touch 1G

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by caseyw, Jan 6, 2009.

1. caseyw macrumors newbie

I know this has been said probably a thousand and more times, but I have to hear it for myself just to be sure. I want to jailbreak my iPod Touch to use some themes and icons for it, but I have a couple of questions.

1. Can I use the firmware 2.2 to jailbreak it?
    2. If I screw up (I will eventually) can I just press restore and be back to normal?
    3. Is this guide appropriate, http://is.gd/eKg2?
    4. If I f*** up bad will it render the iPod useless?
    5. Can I still use and buy apps from the iTunes store?
    6. Is there anything extra that I should worry about or be concerned for?

Forgot to ask is PwnageTool good for the job? I assume it is.

Thank you if you answer them or try. I'm very cautious about doing these sort of things. Such as when I finally loaded XP on my iMac. I was worried that it might screw it up in some unimaginable way, but after reassurance, it was alright. So please bear with me.

PS, using an iMac with latest iTunes.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

1 yup
    2 yup
    3 seems like it
    4 nope, not possible
    5 sure can, as well as get cool free aps (i play gameboy advance on mine) off cydia/installer
    6 you should be worried about what your going to do with all the options now available to you.

3. caseyw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks this makes me feel a lot more comfortable going about this.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just follow all the steps correctly and you'll be jailbroken in no time. Its great.

And remember if you ever run into trouble somehow and dont want the people at the apple store to know of your jailbreak, just click restore.

5. caseyw thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha.

I have one more question. Ok, it finished pwning and is now jailbroken. Now iTunes has prompted me a question. Do I want to restore from another restore from my old iPod Touch or should I select 'Set up as new iPod' which one should I choose? I assume I can simply choose Set up as new, use my iTunes account and then download all the apps I had before. Is that correct?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Id personally set up new as some people report odd quirks (nothing bad) after going from a backup.

And yes, you can redownload apps, tho they should already be in your itunes anyway.

Have fun.

7. caseyw thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks a bunch!

I've set up as a new one and works fine! Installing my old apps as I speak.