Just for the sake of conversation...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gooter80, Apr 19, 2010.

1. gooter80 macrumors member

Which of the two would be faster, and which would you rather have?

15" with the i5 and a 7200rpm HDD (sub in whichever of the two i5's you like)
    or
    13" with the C2D and one of Apple's SSDs (again, sub whichever processor you like)

I only ask for the sake of conversation, and it is one thing I don't think I've seen discussed in much depth, although I admit I haven't seen every thread here.

So, what say you?:)

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I'd say it depends on what you're doing. Sequential read writes are faster on the magnetic drive, but all other hard drive operations would be slower. I would say that the SSD would be faster if you're doing a lot of multitasking that has high disk access but low processor usage. On the other hand, if you are doing low I/O tasks (or high sequential I/O) that require a lot of processor (think video encoding or gaming) then the HDD and i5 combo is better.

Every day computing, probably the SSD combo.

3. sth macrumors 6502a

The 13" with the SSD will feel (and be) faster in everyday use.
    The 15" with the HDD will be faster at highly CPU-demanding stuff.

In any case: I wouldn't get a SSD from Apple directly. Aftermarket SSDs are better and cheaper.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can upgrade the HDD to an SSD later, so I'll take that thanks.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

^^^^^
    I would also most definitely take the 15" MBP. You can get the SSD at a later time.

6. Jon03021 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. Purchase a 15'' with the high res screen and everything else default or the 13'' with an Intel g2 SSD and a some money left over for some extras.

It's such a tough choice!