Just found a pretty severe bug in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by copa, Dec 22, 2013.

1. copa macrumors member

copa

Hi all,
    just happened to stumble upon a pretty heavy bug in Safari. Perfectly reproducible for me. Would be interested to hear if anybody else can reproduce it.

I'm on a 2013 13" i7 MBA with 8gigs of RAM and a 256gig SSD running 10.9.1 and everything up to date as far as I am aware (if that is of any relevance).

It happens when I two-finger horizontally swipe on a page. It happened to me several times when I wanted to use the two-finger swipe to go back one page and the trackpad misinterpreted my swipe as though I was trying to pan around on the page.

What happens is that the page will pan to the right a bit (as though I was panning) and then get stuck. It won't bounce back and is for all intents and purposes frozen. I can't click anything or scroll anywhere. Luckily, it doesn't crash Safari entirely, so I can still close the tab.

If I only have a single tab opened and it happens there, I have to quit Safari and relaunch. I can still load a page from my bookmarks (and the tab will display the new page's title etc. accordingly) but the image of the frozen site remains in the window. If I freeze a site in windowed mode, then maximize Safari and load a different page I can see a narrow band on top of the site loading the new page while the rest will be out of sight and blocked by the frozen image.

Seems to happen on every page when using (or accidentally using) the two-finger swipe to pan around.

Does this happen for anybody else? Also, what to do with this?

Regards, Copa

2. mpantone macrumors 6502

I suggest you report it to Apple. We can't do anything about it here and Apple's support staff do not post to this site (well, not as official company representatives).

If you are going to complain about Apple, this is not the site to do it.

Good luck.

3. NativeTxn macrumors regular

I had that happen to me one time (15" rMBP/16/512) a few weeks ago. I quit and restarted Safari a few times, and it still did it. So, I restarted the computer and it hasn't happened since.