Just found dead pixel/s on my mb2015

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wolfie, Jul 6, 2015.

1. wolfie macrumors regular

Im surprised that I can even see it considering the resolution. Not looking forward to fighting with them at the Apple store for a repair or replacement (about 1.5 months old).

Will this be a repair job or whole computer replaced? I don't really have a preference, I just want the turn around time to be reasonable (and repaired without a cockup elsewhere as I've babied the machine). Any idea?

2. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

This should be a straight replacement unit from Apple, don't settle for anything less. I would be very suprised if Apple contested this. Book an appointment with a Genius bar guru beforehand and he/she will sort it. Remember the usual caveats about Time Machine backups first.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Repair, your outside first 14 days of ownership, equally be polite and you may get lucky. I use my Mac`s for work/business purpose so would want it done ASAP as if it`s in Apples hands it`s costing me.

It`s also good to take some pictures and ensure Apple agree to the physical condition if it goes for repair, might just save you some "pain" if things are not done correctly.

Q-6

4. KPOM macrumors G5

My guess is that they will want to repair it. I had a creaky display hinge and they sent it back. The turnaround was relatively quick, though (about 5 days, including a weekend).

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

That will depend on Apple`s dead pixel policy

Q-6

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I think it's usually 2 or 3 pixels for a notebook, but if it is highly conspicuous they have been known to replace screens with only 1 dead pixel.

8. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

9. wolfie thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update. I went to the apple store genius bar (bought from another official supplier though) expecting it to be exchanged/repaired. They couldn't do anything as it wasn't bought from them so they wrote a report saying its a major fault. I went to the store of purchase and they were happy to replace it. Problem was.... their supply chain in the country did not have any stock for my model. So Im using the faulty laptop till it gets replaced brand new from them :)

Im a bit annoyed that Apple refused to exchange it (even after the shop called them as they couldn't immediately replace it with any stock) but they flat out said no. So when the shop said I can have a refund and buy from Apple, I told them I don't want to give the damn company anymore money and ill rather the shop have my money (even if most of it ends up with Apple anyway). It was good customer service from them so I ended up sticking with them. A few dead pixels for a month or so won't hurt.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I guess you were unable to "stick it to the man" !

11. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Hi Wolfie,

So did Apple tell you specifically they they wouldn't replace because you had bought from someone else and not them directly ? Is this what Apple can do here in Australia as well I wonder ? Maybe other guys can chip in with their experiences/thoughts on the matter.

Cheers !

12. KPOM macrumors G5

I once bought a MacBook Air from MacMall that had a faulty logic board. The Apple Store did an outright exchange, though in that case it was within the first 2 weeks of ownership, so I don't know if that made any difference.

13. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I had a dead pixel on my iPhone 6 Plus and took it back to the Apple Store. They swapped it for a new one without an issue. Can't see why this would be any difference with a computer.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I also had one I bought from best buy replaced at Apple. Not only replaced, they let me get an upgraded model b.c they were out of stock on the one I originally purchased.