Just found my stolen macbook. CD stuck inside

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marchellobb, Dec 8, 2010.

1. marchellobb macrumors member

So i got my macbook back from the police who found it, they flushed verything on the harddrive.

Now i open the mac and it comes up to the loading apple, but i cant put the software install cd inside because i think a cd is already in. Itried opening it and holding down the trackpad, and i hear the cd drive whirring like crazy trying to spit it out but its not.

Is there really a CD stuck inside or does it just not work anymore??

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

have you tried pressing and holding the eject button?

you could also install os x from a USB drive.

3. iFrankie macrumors member

Hold down the 'option' key after turning on the MacBook. Once you get to the drive selection screen, hit the eject button. If there is a CD in there, it should hopefully eject.

4. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

How/what do i need to use the usb drive method? The guy who handed it back to the police erased all the data forgetting a cd inside i imagine, eject doesnt work nor does the click at the startup

5. DewGuy1999, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

A couple more things to try:

Let gravity help you by holding the MacBook so the Super Drive is pointing down while pressing the eject key or holding down the trackpad button

or

Take something like a heavyweight business card and insert in the Super Drive under the disc, using the business card to press up while pressing the eject key or holding down the trackpad button

6. marchellobb thread starter macrumors member

Nothing works... Looks like I'll have to hope it's still on warranty.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

With the business card, that should be under the disc, using the business card to press up while pressing the eject key or holding down the trackpad button. Sorry for the earlier misinformation, apparently I was having another gray moment.:eek: Good Luck.

8. dime21 macrumors 6502

I assume you mean a USB optical drive? You can't boot from USB hard drives. You can boot from firewire hard drives though.

If the disc won't eject, the optical drive is likely damaged. It isn't too expensive to buy the part, and if your handy with small tools, you can easily replace it yourself. See ifixit.com for clear step-by-step directions with photos.

9. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Yikes...maybe the thief tried to put one of those "mini-cd"s in the slot?

10. sbddude macrumors 6502a

That would work too but I meant installing OS X from a thumb drive. Yes it works, I have done it. The new MacBook Air comes with OSX on a thumb drive. Google for instructions.

11. Sir Lorad macrumors member

You should take your Macbook to an Apple Store. There they will help you for sure.

12. eman macrumors 6502a

Look to see if the cd drive opening on the case (above the cd drive opening) has been crushed down a little on case. If the case (keyboard) has been pushed down slightly, this will prevent the cd from ejecting and it will make it hard to insert a cd.

13. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

This was true only of PowerPC macs. If I'm not mistaken all intel macs will boot from a USB device with no issue. I know mine does and it's a 11/2006 MacBook.

14. Nick L. macrumors newbie

If its spinning - there must be a disc inside.

Create a bootable USB stick with Leopard installation on some other computer.
    Find the instructions on google.
    Then start your Mac holding C key (with usb inserted before of course).
    You will get an option to boot from USB and then start the installation.
    You CAN boot from USB sticks to install OS, but you cant install OS on an external USB, unless its a firewire external hard drive.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

As well as a USB stick you could also use a external hard drive or an external optical drive :)