Just found out that Australia doesn't have VV...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Globug, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Globug, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

except for Vodaphone and Telstra's 5$pm. Is there any way to get vv on other networks, either with tweaks or whatever? Also is it related to Australian vs American handsets? So if i bring my American iPhone would i get visual voice mail if i use an Australian provider?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

3. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

yes, Sorry. Visual voicemail... epic fail on my part. Going to change it now!

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

No worries, I got it anyway :)

The carrier needs to the system setup for VVM, so yeah, it's either Voda or T. I'm on Optus and I have no idea why they haven't set it up already.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Carriers have to setup specific infrastructure the supports visual voicemail.

6. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

I use to have vodafone when i was living in australia. Then for some reason i switched to optus and remember being MUCH happier. For some reason i can't remember why i switched... oh well.. anyway, now that ive been spoiled with visual voice mail in the states its going to be hard going back to a none visual voicemail. Hoping Optus gets their game on and sorts it out.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/03/optus-has-no-plans-for-iphone-visual-voicemail-in-australia/:mad:

what about if i were to use like ayasim or something else. Would they not have visual voicemail either?

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Indeed.

Out of the (approximately) 244 "official" iPhone carriers in the world, less than a quarter of them support Visual Voicemail.

It simply costs too much to implement. You have to remember that outside of North America, usage of phones for voice calls is much lower. Consequently, people care less about voicemail.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

For carriers that don't offer Visual Voicemail, the HulloMail app works as a good replacement.

10. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

do you know if it works in Australia? Thanks! :)

11. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

People hardly use phones for voice calls in USA either BTW where do you get these "statistics" from?

12. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Except for vodafone and Telstra. Really? There are 3 major carriers and 2/3 support Visual Voicemail and you sound like there's only 2 out of 100 that support it. No one here in Australia uses voicemail. It's bloody expensive it's easier and much cheaper to call back or to text.

No, all iPhone's are the same, the carrier just needs to activate it on their part. Otherwise, it wouldn't work on Telstra nor voda.

13. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

Telstra is too expensive and vodafone sucks. I use to use Optus when i was in Oz, and now looking into aysim or another such type discount provider.

14. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

You know what, I've used all three carrier for a long period of time. Telstra has the best network. It surprises me how great it is. It works everywhere, lifts, underground car parks, under ground in buildings, areas with no civilisation, out at sea, etc.

Optus is actually alright, works in most places fine excepts for under ground areas and in lifts etc.

vodafone is just unusable. Slow 3G data, no connection in a lot of places and also call drops on the freeway.

amaysim uses Optus 3G, so you won't get Visual Voicemail either way.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Excuse my ignorance but wha does Visual Voicemail actually do? No carriers here in Ireland support it, so I haven't a clue.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You see who called you in the UI (rather than dial a number to retrieve voicemails). The voicemail is then streamed when you hit play (sort of like a music track). You have the option to save, delete, or archive the message from the UI.

17. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

Great to know that vodafone still hasn't changed for the better since ive lived there about 5 years ago. Blah.

As for Telstra, yes they are brilliant.. but soo expensive :( If they had prices similar to optus i wouldn't even think of another provider. Oh well we'll see what happens closer to my possible move date. Aiming for jan/feb.