Just found these, ProtectMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by myuserid08, Apr 7, 2009.

1. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Just installed ProtectMac as I was curious to see if there was anything malicious installed. I'm fairy sure these are PC viruses, just wondering why they are called clamav which is mac antivirus?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

THERE ARE NO VIRUSES on OSX.

Since there are no viruses, anti-virus cannot determine what is a virus at this time. Thus anti-virus apps are completely useless for osx.

Giz Explains: Why OS X Shrugs Off Viruses Better Than Windows
    http://i.gizmodo.com/5101337/giz-explains-why-os-x-shrugs-off-viruses-better-than-windows

The Mac Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/01/29/the-mac-malware-myth/

The Unavoidable Malware Myth
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/...-apple-wont-inherit-microsofts-malware-crown/

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They're actually very useful if you send files to and fro Windows machines.

4. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

First off, interesting wallpaper that you have! Now then, hmmmm...W32 reminds me of Win 32 which is something that I have seen many times b4 on well windows!

Other than that have you have you ran any other AV on your system to see if you get the same message?

May be that particular virus is stored somewhere in the ClamAV app awaiting deletion......?!

:apple:

5. myuserid08 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know there are no viruses but there are trojans, backdoors etc. W32 reminds me of windows thats why I thought it could be a windows virus. Thanks for the links will have a read through those later on.

Robinson 44 chopper, great piece of kit :)

Haven't installed other AV software before including ClamAV so thats not the problem. Strange partition as well, maybe windows crap?

6. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

And that IS WHY I use AV programs, I'm running bootcamp on my mini and the last thing I need is some cheap a__ trojan/virus ruining my mini trough Bootcamp/XP!!!

:apple:

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Obsolete by the time they came to being, but viruses for the Mac OS are possible and have been made, never say never.

8. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

What you've found is a Windows threat (see the "W32" in the name.) Can't hurt you at all.