Just getting into photography. Aperture 2? or wait for 3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Mar 5, 2009.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I have used a free trial of Aperture 2 and liked it, but it was awhile ago. I know Aperture 2 came out a while ago... I know in the world of Mac we never know when a product is going to be released but is Aperture in time for a update? If so I might just wait a few months...

Thanks

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Well, Aperture 1 was released back in November, 2005. Aperture 2 was released a little more than a year ago, in February 2008. If that timeline is at all indicative of their update schedule, then you will be more than fine to buy 2 now. Apple's Pro software like that doesn't see nearly as many updates as, say, even OSX itself.

I would say now is a great time to buy. As you said though, you can never be 100% sure, so the decision is up to you.

One thing to consider is that there is a remote possibility that they will move to Aperture 3 some time after the release of Snow Leopard to optimize it for the use of Grand Central and OpenCL and such, but again, no one really knows.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I shouldn't worry - just go ahead and buy it - it's a great programme! Since it's introduction, Aperture 2 has been updated, via Apple's software update, to version 2.1.2.

4. bindigok macrumors regular

I just upgraded in Jan. from Aperture 1 to Aperture 2; and I freakin' love it!!! It's a great program. I rarely use Photoshop any more, and I've stopped using Bridge except at work on Windows. I've always stopped using iPhoto for the most part. I think you should go ahead at get A2; you can always upgrade when A3 comes out. But in the meantime, A2 is a great program!!!!!! Like others have said, it will probably be awhile before A3 comes out. Apple is now mostly focused on Snow Leopard; and even after it comes out they will be focused on working out the bugs - then it will take everyone a while to switch over - then there are all the bugs with other programs that will come up - then new iPod and iPhones will be due - then maybe they will get to updates for the Pro Apps. But they may surprise us all. I would bet we have at least 6 months if not another year before A3 gets released.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You do realise that Apple has more than one group of programmers don't you? I mean they can work on Snow Leopard, new iPods and the pro apps simultaneously.

They would be a rather poor company if they couldn't manage to do that.

6. bindigok macrumors regular

I realiZe this, but they usually spread releases out a bit. So while some software and some hardware and some ipod stuff may come out at the same time; they usually don't release new versions of everything at one time. My point was just that they have a lot of releases that they MAY prioritize over Aperture, and that it is not due for an update.