just given a Ibook with a broken screen

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by newbie sherman, May 1, 2009.

1. newbie sherman macrumors newbie

As the title suggests Ive just recently been given a Ibook it appears to be 12 or 13" white and model number A1005 manufactured in 2002.

where do i get parts for this old thing? Id really be interested in giving it a run as in my business knowing macs would come in handy.

Thank you for not flaming the newbie.

:confused:Sherman:D

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The goto place I recommend, although a little pricey, they have good quality stuff, would be www.ifixit.com

It's a 12" by the way, the iBooks were only 12 or 14" models.

3. newbie sherman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup pricey maybe to pricey

since it appears that the display will be more than i thought, are there any junk parts from anyone willing to part with them available?

Im afraid of spending 99 on just the display and then having it break during shipment

4. Spares macrumors member

I mean if you dont need the mobility, you could always external display it, although i suppose your cost would be around the same unless you have a display kickin round

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

They're quite reputable. I'm sure they know how to ship a display so it won't break. Even if it did, that's when you'd call them and exchange it...

6. jvlog macrumors member

my advice is don't wast money on fixing a G3 iBook. the cost for replacing the display is about the same as buying a working one off ebay and they aren't macbooks you cant just open one up with out knowing what your doing the connecters on ibooks this old will often melt to the logic board and the wires will tear out when trying to remove them out the bottom case is hard to remove with out an apple black stick and it is hard to properly put one back together with out apple's service manual. my advice is get a mini VGA to VGA adapter and use it with an external display.

7. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Mannn...

You used a total of 3 '.' in that whole paragraph. Kinda hard to read what's between the first and last sentence.

8. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Try going to an apple store and asking if they have any water-damaged iBooks which you could buy from them, worked for me with my macbook.