Just Given an IPhone, Should I return It and Wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daverage, Mar 27, 2008.

1. daverage macrumors newbie

I just unexpectedly received the 16GB IPhone as a gift last night from my wife, and have not opened it yet. The reason why is I am tempted to wait until June when Apple may unveil the new version. Does anyone have any insight as to whether a new version will show up and if it will be worth the wait?

Considering I've waited this long, I'd hate to invest in the current model two months before something superior is released. On the other hand though, I find it hard to believe that Apple would leave the current generation of IPhone users in the dust.

Additionally, anyone have any leads on a price if a new model is released?

Just looking for some good advice for my current situation. I know I know, I got a free Iphone...sort of. But we don't have tons of cash, and I don't want to take a 200 loss on this on Ebay if a more superior model comes out in a few months.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you don't have the money, don't even think of keeping it, or ever getting one. Otherwise, keep it. The only advantage of the next model will be the 3G, but for most people that won't matter since there is no 3G network where they are (and won't be for sometime). Everything else will but updated for free by software for at least two years from the time of purchase.

TEG

3. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

I have seen a couple posts about people returning gifts for future iPhones. I think it is pretty rude to return a gift that cost $400-$500 dollars, and a gift that you actually want. If your wife spends $500 on you, you better appreciate it or she will hold that over you forever. I would never return a gift like that from my wife.

4. daverage thread starter macrumors newbie

===============

No way, she doesn't mind at all. Afterall, she's returning what I gave her....:)

5. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

You two must not know eachother very well. I guess I am a little surprised because my wife and I know eachother so well, that we can buy gifts and we know the other is going to like it. Hell, I do what most men will never do, I can buy clothing for my wife that she loves and never returns. I guess I am just special. :p

6. daverage thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyway.........back to the question. How many people here think the new phone will release in June, and how many think it will come out around October?

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No one knows, and I for one don't care. June, October, 2009, It doesn't matter, I still have the greatest phone in the world.

TEG

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If you do return it...

I would hate to be in the same room as your wife when you advise her of the situation. I would think it would break her heart! I bought a pair of diamond earrings for my wife and she wears them all the time. I would have been hurt if she would have taken them back for an upgrade, or worse, taken them back for a cheaper pair and pocketed the difference. I can only assume that she bought the 16GB iPhone as gift that you could utilize immediately. You can take your chances and sell it on eBay or Craigslist, but just be aware that you should take her feelings into consideration, before the financial gains or losses. By the way what did you get her? JMHO! :cool:

9. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

The current gen iPhone is here to stay for a long time in terms of support. The new gen, in fact, will sport almost all of the same hardware. You may see 3G which doesn't even work in a lot of areas, and possibly more RAM. The new phone will almost definitely look exactly the same too.

Apple will not change the hardware inside the phone such as processors etc. These are very expensive engineering changes and the iPhone is too new of a platform to worry about changing. Plus, all of the new software coming out needs to run on the original iphone. Apple can't have developers optimizing for certain version iphones. This becomes too confusing for general public looking for software.

The phone was a gift from your wife, I think you should enjoy it. I certainly wouldn't worry about minor tweaks the iPhone is going to get in June (or whenever).

10. daverage thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't wait any longer, I'm gonna crack that baby open tonight!

Thx for the input all, sounds like the next model....whenever it does come out, isn't going to blow away whats already out (especially w/ the software updates).

I'm pretty new to the Iphone world, and obviously haven't followed it too closely. Anyone have any good website or podcast recommendations to help fill me in on tips/tricks? (other than this site of course)

11. ruckus macrumors regular

ruckus

I think you will be happy. Like I said, I'm pretty confident any updates to the iPhone will be minor. It will look the same, its processing power will be the same, the new one may even have worse battery life with the 3G :)

12. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

I agree:)

13. daverage thread starter macrumors newbie