Just Googled, but still need 110% confirmation on this (Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ki2594, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

So i've got 10.5.8 running on my new MacBook Pro, and i've ordered SL (via the up to date program) today. Now, is it 100% safe to back up my Leopard stuff on my HD, erase and install via disk utility on the SL disc, and then migrate from backup (pending it gives me that option). This is my first time installing a new OS on a computer, so will it give me the full "first boot up" deal, with the choose your language and intro video and what not?

Thanks guys, i just googled this topic, but i haven't gotten my clear cut answer as to how to go about this.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im positive they have support for time machine

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Yes, it is 110% safe to follow that method.

The only thing that might be different is because this may be "upgrade" media, you would have to install 10.5.x from your restore media (using erase and install), and then upgrade to Snow Leopard using the new disk you'll be getting.

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Please clarify how you intend to "backup" onto the HD. As suggested by the above posters, would suggest you perform a Time Machine backup onto the external HD.

5. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Will Time Machine back up your computer 100%?

iCal, Mail, Firefox, Applications, Downloads, Documents, etc.?

After you restore, will be it be just like how it was on your old computer? Nothing needs to be installed/transferred?

6. danny_w macrumors 601

It would probably be just as good (and much faster) to simply backup or clone your hdd, then install SL on top of the existing 10.5.8 install. The default is now archive & install (except that it does not leave a "previous os" folder).

7. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So pretty much, i'm going to backup my whole computer onto my western digital 320GB external hard drive via Time Machine. The thing i want to know is what is the best way to install Snow Leopard and get my data back (i.e music, calender data, photos, etc)

8. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

not quite comprehending. why would i need to install leopard? (confusion)

9. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Snow Leopard is 29.99 for only the users who have Leopard, and when you go to purchase it, they have no way of knowing. If you didn't have to install Leopard first, then people jumping from Tiger to Snow Leopard would be able to buy the "Leopard user price" which would not be an upgrade at all. I'm assuming that the Snow Leopard DVD will contain updated files of existing Leopard files but not the entire system (that's where the Leopard install comes in).

10. tallguy macrumors regular

Won't all of your data still be there after the snow leopard upgrade? This whole time I kind of just assumed you put in the disc, installed the new os and everything would be pretty much the same. I hope I'm not horribly wrong about this haha.

11. xserve2 macrumors newbie

If you are running Leopard at present that's exactly what you and everyone else should do - Just put in the disk and follow the prompts (not many of those). I have done it to more than 10 systems so far and all have been 100% OK. IF there are any programs that will NOT work in Snow Leopard they are moved into a separate folder.

If you are running Tiger then you need an Install DVD NOT the Upgrade version - It comes with iLife and iWork because they have been updated quiet a few times since Tiger days. No mater if it's the Upgrade or Install version you MUST have an Intel Processor Mac

12. devburke Guest

I was under the impression that upgrade, not archive & install, was the default.

13. danny_w macrumors 601

You may be correct here, this has been a source of confusion ever since Apple changed it. However, I *think* it is an archive * install without the previous os folder. There are no longer any options for how to install, other than using Disk Utility to format the disk first if you want to force a clean install.

14. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So are you guys suggesting to just upgrade and install? Would that leave any extra files behind that will just be taking up space, or is that a safe way to go.

15. Velorium macrumors member

How is the data archived then if there's no previous os folder? Do the files stay/get placed back in the location they were in Leopard?

16. danny_w macrumors 601

Your data stays where it is, but the os gets replaced with SL. You may have to reinstall some apps, just the same as you would using a migrate or an archive and install. The only difference is that there is no previous os folder left when you get done, but you shouldn't need it anyway, and you should have a separate backup anyway (Right? You do backup don't you?).

17. Velorium macrumors member

I do have a backup drive. I'm relatively new to OS X as I just got a MacBook in June so I'm a bit unfamiliar with how it does things. So doing the archive and install is the way to go basically?

18. danny_w macrumors 601

Before doing any sort of os upgrade or install I always do a backup (actually a clone) to external disk using SuperDuper!, and then unmount and unplug the disk. That way if anything does go wrong I can always get back to work immediately by booting from the clone; it is just good insurance, and something that neither Windows nor Linux even have the capability of doing. You can do the same thing manually using Disk Utility, but SuperDuper! makes it so much easier, and the basic functionality is available in the app for free.

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i would make sure to have two independend backups of all of your data before you erease the MBP and upgrade.

if I have enough time I'm going to install from scratch and install everything (all programs) from scratch as well. Takes two days but gives you a fresh start.

20. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So what do all of you guys plan on doing? This machine is practically new so i don't really have any slow down problems yet, so should i erase and install and then migrate from my backup or should i just upgrade and install? What would you do?

21. danny_w macrumors 601

On a relatively new machine with not much installed I would just pop in the disc and let it upgrade/install itself (with at least one backup of course).