Just got 13" MBA - 2 Questions Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by amitdoc2b, Jul 25, 2011.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

First of all, I must say that this MBA is much faster than I anticipated. It's the 2011 i5 13" MBA. But now I have 3 questions so I can get started:

1) I noticed an AC Plug is included. What is that for? It seems like the charger already works fine and is attached to the adaptor. Do I need this thing or will I ever need to use it?

2) I did a system back up on my old 17" MBP with time machine onto an external hard drive. I'm just going to finder and importing things manually from my external since I don't see anywhere in time machine to restore the entire system (which is okay).. but I need to know how to import bookmarks. Where are my bookmarks placed in the old system so I can manually import them?

3) I heard people talking about Toshiba vs Samsung for SSD and LG vs Samsung for display. I tried to look these up in "About this Mac" and "System Report" but I couldn't find the company names. Where do I look for that? Just curious what I have..

Thanks a bunch, and let me know if you have any questions about the new system and I'll be glad t answer as well.

2. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

1. The cable is an extension, in case you need a longer reach.

2. You do NOT want to do a restore, as the new MBA comes with Lion. Different OS. Look for the migration assistant under Utilities. That may help.

3. Read this thread to learn how to identify your SSD and LCD panel, then read this thread to understand how pointless the whole discussion is. :D

4. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

1) The cord is just to make the cable longer. It also has the ground plug instead of the regular plug (helps prevent you from getting an electric shock if something goes wrong).

2) dont know.

3)For the SSD, hold alt and click about this mac in the menu (under the apple logo), it should open the system profiler. on the left hand side go to SATA devices section, and on right hand side look for your SSD. If you see TS128C its toshiba, if you see SM128C its samsung. as for the display, open terminal in system utilitis and paste this in:

Code:
    ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
    and press enter. if the model name you see starts with LP its LG-Philips. If it starts with LTH its a samsung. Some guy posted a side by side comparison of 2 macbook airs with these two displays and nobody could really see any difference.

5. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you everyone for your help. My display and SSD are both Samsung. :)