just got 1st ipod, advice required

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Mr.Noisy, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

ok, so i got the 80gb Classic (6th generation), great device, 100% happy, looks good and feels solid, but as i was convinced i needed an ipod by my son for car journeys, who suddenly doesn't have anymore great advice, I now find myself in need of a wee bit of advice from the more experienced folk here at macrumors, what is the best way to convert some existing AVI films on my mac to mp4 for the ipod and what's the best way to set up itunes? i know i'm sick of the auto sync, tar ;)

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you don't want iTunes to autosync, you can turn it off by unchecking the box on the iPod's main page when you plug it in.

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

iSquint is the best free way to convert video for iPod.

I kinda like the auto-sync thing, since I don't have to hunt for what I just added to iTunes, but as heatmiser said, you can turn it off.

I have the same iPod as you, and I love it. Your son made a good recommendation. Too bad he can't back it up :)

Whenever I recommend a Mac or an iPod to friends, I always tell them that if they have any questions I'll be happy to help.

Anyway, I hope my reply is helpful. Enjoy your new toy.

PS: If you need an FM transmitter, I recommend this one. Pricey, I know, but it's freakin' awesome.

4. Mr.Noisy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Thanks Laminer will try isquint,
    an Heatmiser, ive tried unchecking it once the ipods connected on the summary or settings page, but when i connected the ipod a 2nd time it was auto sync'ing again, i'd rather turn it off alltogether, can this be done in itunes preferences ? cant check at mo, at work :(
    but thanks for the advice so far, the ipods a great device, just need to sort this auto sync out, i can't stand that feature, but the video playbacks fantastic and very very clear.

5. cornerdealy macrumors regular

after you uncheck it, you have to hit sync...i dunno if you tried that...