Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
So last night I picked up 2 dual MDD's and a nice 20 inch adc screen Gallery 2010 Formac from a nice English bloke in Abu Dhabi. Both in good Nick, one with maxed out ram, dual 1.25, the other with zero ram and no vid card, but dual 876 CPUs and a bunch of drives.

I only really wanted the dual 1.25, but got the rest pretty much to boot OS 9 for classic environment. I'll probably strip the 2nd one for spares as I don't have room to keep both.

Haven't booted them up yet, I have a Mac 9800pro waiting to be delivered. And will probably run a ide to SATA convertor to run a more modern drive.

The dual 1.25 is the m8570. Hopefully this can run OS 9?

Pics forth comming...

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
The M8570 may or may not be able to boot into OS 9. The easiest way to determine which it is by checking if it has FW 800, if it does, you are out of luck unfortunately.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
The M8570 may or may not be able to boot into OS 9. The easiest way to determine which it is by checking if it has FW 800, if it does, you are out of luck unfortunately.

The clever people over at MacOS9Lives.com have put together a "Universal" and "Unsupported" Mac OS 9.2.2 which will boot the FW 800 MDD into OS9 no problem. Scan through the forums, they have also had success in getting many portable G4s to boot OS9. Like the iBook G4 (except the final one with the 9550 GPU) and many of the <1.5Ghz aluminum PowerBooks.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
It's fw400. ;)

Lucky, and also discovered it has an ATI 9000 pro with 128mb vram. And it has a PCI scuzzi card in it. WiFi card works dandy and 3 drives. Primary is a 128gb drive and 2 250gb data drives.
The data drives are wiped, but the main drive has lots of personal stuff and pics/videos on it. I asked the guy after I saw all the pics if he wanted a copy, but he said be has it all backed up and is good with me wiping it. It currently has 10.5.8 on it.

Needs a good dust blow out.. question about the power on button... do you have to press that a fair bit in? Or has this one copped some damage? I could replace it I guess from the other wind tunnel that came with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
It's fw400. ;)

Lucky, and also discovered it has an ATI 9000 pro with 128mb vram. And it has a PCI scuzzi card in it. WiFi card works dandy and 3 drives. Primary is a 128gb drive and 2 250gb data drives.
The data drives are wiped, but the main drive has lots of personal stuff and pics/videos on it. I asked the guy after I saw all the pics if he wanted a copy, but he said be has it all backed up and is good with me wiping it. It currently has 10.5.8 on it.

Needs a good dust blow out.. question about the power on button... do you have to press that a fair bit in? Or has this one copped some damage? I could replace it I guess from the other wind tunnel that came with it?
Not sure if it was a common thing or not, but my 1.25 single MDD's power button has to be pressed in fairly far for it to be "pressed" too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: AphoticD

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
It's fw400. ;)

I seem to remember my MDD only required a light touch to power up, it is buried in my attic or I wound give it a try. I found a GeForce4 Ti upgrade at CompUSA for the bargain price of $99 back when my MDD was my daily driver. I had an Adaptec 31960 and a bunch of SCSI 320 drives. Loved that braided cable.
That was one of my favorite machines.

Reactions: ApplesDotCom101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.