Just got 2nd hand retina pro - How do I do a clean reset?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Xaro, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Xaro macrumors newbie

Hi all, bit of a newbie here so forgive me if this has been covered somewhere, but I couldn't find it...

I just got my macbook pro retina this morning which I got second hand. I was surprised that I didn't get the welcome screen when I got my 2009 mac pro (also second hand - previous user setup a new install for me).

It went straight into the OS, although files are deleted, finder picks up old emails from the previous owner, one even had a password revealed (which is a nice reminder for everyone to wipe their computer properly in the future not just delete files and hope for the best!). Anyway, I would like to do a clean install to get that new owner experience.

But how do I do this? There is no discs and all guides on the matter point at sticking in the disc for older mac's.

Also - it has Lion installed, can I get mountain lion for free? I've not searched this yet but would hope so considering most retina pro's out there are running it.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This apple kb article details how to boot into the recovery partition and reinstall OSX.

Basically when the computer boots up, press command-r to boot into the recovery partition.

3. Xaro thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Also, even if you don't plan to use the Find My Mac feature, it's still registered to the previous owner's account if they ever set it up, so turn it on for your iCloud account (create one specifically for this purpose if you don't already have one), and it will wipe out the connection to their account. Just in case…

jW

5. Xaro thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I'll do that, although I don't think there is anything left on this hard drive now.

Having real problems installing OSX. It downloads over internet, but seems to cut out (after 7 hours may I add - I've had 3 attempts at this now). Reboots, loads the apple logo briefly then displayed a circle with a cross through it.

Then I need to go into recovery and do a internet recovery again. This is proving to be a nightmare. Anyone who says they just work needs a punch in the face :p