Just got 3G - Yellow Screen is brutal!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chancee, Jul 24, 2008.

1. chancee macrumors member

I don't care what Apple says about trying to make it 'warmer.' I don't buy it. They've no doubt got a cheaper screen on there, and my guess is they've tried to cover their tracks by skewing the white balance and making it brighter. The screen on the 1st iphone is epic. This new one doesn't hold a candle to it. Dark colors wash out.. people are red/'yellow. I guess this is what happens when you mass produce and try to take over the world. Quality goes out the door.

2. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Did you try updating the firmware with a restore to see if that helps the screen as many have claimed?

I don't notice mine to have an horrible yellow issues.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

4. chancee thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work. If yours doesn't have the yellow issue... you're psyched. I've already returned one and am now considering just going back to my 1st gen iphone.

5. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

If the someone is in work today that has the original, I'll ask to compared mine side by side.

6. phannon666 macrumors regular

Side by side with a 1Gen iPhone the 3G screen is definately different and better, but my no means is it yellow (unless I'm using notes ;)) My guess is you've got a dud.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It has nothing to do with hardware. Apple has just lowered (made warmer) the color temperature to give a more natural color. Unfortunately most people have TV that are set at to high (cooler) a color temperature. They are set this way out the box to compete with others under florescent lights. Many are just used to seeing the wrong color temperature and now that Apple has moved it closer to 6500ºK don't see that as the improvement it is.

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Yeah, I don't think most people realize they should really turn down the brightness and color on their tvs almost to nothing. When I first became aware of this many years ago, it was hard to get used to, but now I do it all the time, and the colors are just more rich and vibrant.

It is hard for me to even look at a factory default tv as it looks so washed out.

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

you know what im going to hang on to my 8b EDGE until 32gb comes out... or at least a while even though my entire library is 14.gb... I've seen too many negative things about iPhone3G so i think i will wait it out until all the manufacturing issues/defects etc are resolved.

I love my iPhone screen -- its fantastic and i dont think i could take anything else or lower quality than that.

10. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

I don't have my 3G yet, and did not own a 2G - but every time I look at an original iPhone I see a bluish tint. I think I'll be happy with the 3G if they've warmed the colors up a bit.

BTW, the bluish tint of the original is obviously a sign of an inferior, budget display. :D

11. pscoble macrumors 6502

Well I love everything about my 3G as far as improvements on it go. Especially the screen the one on my old iPhone had this weird blue tint looking back the new iPhone is a lot warmer as far as color goes. If you are seeing it as really yellow than you probably have a lemon.

12. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

I actually like the color and screen on the 3g than the 1st generation, there is a difference, I like the warmer screen