just got a 1 tb time capsule. pray for me !!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gdeusthewhizkid, Jan 10, 2011.

1. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

after looking at drobo and synology nas servers. I decided to go with the time capsule because it offered the simplest 2nd backup for my macs. are the bad reviews warranted??

can i use my apple express to extend my network with it....?

I would like to hear mixed opinions on this device.. so far im happy with it. it took me a hour to set up. I dont know why but it's faster than my apple extreme as far as speed wise. My netflix doesn't lag at all... It plays netflix movies like i just popped in a dvd. :cool:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The first generation units have a documented issue with the power supply that causes them to fail in ~18-24 months. So the real question is how long do you expect your purchase to last?

If you replace it every 12-18 months you should be fine, and if you have AppleCare on your Macs, it'll be covered/replaced too.

We'll see if the later builds end up having a similar lifetime or if the design/build improved.

B

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I have a Synology 110j with a 2Tb drive. Works like a charm with my Mac and timemachine backups. I've combined it with a Netgear 3700 router and all is good. You can do much more with the Synology than the Time Capsule.

4. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wish i knew about that before i purchased this one the raid system seems so complicated and the whole finding the right hard drives for it drove me crazy..

5. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

good point. It's such a simple method so i took my chances..

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

Frankly, one's better off with AEBS + ext. hard disk. New Time Capsules have not resolved the heat dissipation issue.

7. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read that combination ran pretty slow. and the speed of my internet is definately much improved.

8. balamw, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Pick up a separate external USB drive, archive the Time Capsule to it every so often (~monthly?) and don't worry about it. Your data will be safe.

B

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I think that this is bad advice. Backups should be automatic with no human intervention. It should be frequent.

If you do not want a TC... then get some type of NAS.

In any case... you should think of your Time Machine local backup as your secondary backup. Your primary backup should be to the cloud. Check out Mozy, Crashplan, etc.

/Jim

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think you misunderstand. The automated frequent backup you recommend is to the TC, the archive is the backup of the backup, just in case the TC fails (as many have). http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1281 I added that link to the previous post to make my intentions more clear.

The OP already got the Time Capsule, but is still worried about reliability.

Backup to the cloud is a fine option in many cases, but depends on the OP having a decent ISP with good speed and no-caps and is not always appropriate.

B

11. gdeusthewhizkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks never heard of them. Will definately look into that.

12. newdeal macrumors 68020

my time capsule works great but I have only had it for a year. Only issues I have had are that sometimes, when connected to ethernet and restoring my system from a time machine backup it will freeze up, the light will turn orange, and then when I reboot my machine and start over it will go back to green and work fine. Not sure why that happens sometimes but it has been a realy life saver especially in the days when I had an SSD that failed monthly