Just got a 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mattdub, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Mattdub macrumors newbie

Just got a 13" yesterday and I love it. My first Mac computer and I don't see myself going back to windows. Are there any tips for the first time user of a Mac and more specifically the air? Thanks in advance! Also looking at getting a Mac mini and apple cinema display within the next few months possibly.

2. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

If you're brand new to Macs in general, Apple has a lot of really nice video tutorials on their site. Be sure to start there and check them out. I did when I first started and it really helped.

If you have any specific questions, I'm sure users here will be happy to answer them.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Enjoy your MBA and ensure that you give yourself enough time to learn the differences - keyboard commands, touchpad etc. - between the world of Windows and that of Apple.

As Pharmscott says, take the time, too, to take a look at some online tutorials - I did at the time, and it helped. Meanwhile, enjoy the MBA - it's a great computer.

Cheers

4. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Many Windows shortcuts use the CTRL key, like CTRL+C for copy and CTRL+V for paste. In OS X, use the CMD key (the one with the Apple logo on it), as in CMD+C for copy and CMD+V for paste.

Another thing I've found very helpful is using multiple desktops. This way I can 3-finger swipe between active programs. Each program then has its own screen, unclutterd by your other running programs. Once you get used to it, it'll be a seamless addition to your workflow.

5. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Off the top of my head some of the commands I use a lot are
    Command + Space Bar = Spotlight search (fast search for any file/program/folder)
    Command + , = Preferences for the application
    Command + T = The same functionality as F4 in Excel (Was very aggravated before I found that one out)

Enjoy the Mac!

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Oh man! THANK YOU!! I had no idea... I have been manually inserting those stupid dollar signs for over a year now! (Now I feel really stupid)

7. atMac macrumors 6502

There is no more Apple logo on a keyboard anymore its now a weird cloverleaf thing.

8. Mattdub thread starter macrumors newbie

9. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Oh man. SMH :eek: I'm in the same boat as you. Oh well, live and learn! :D