Just got a 2008 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jarmzay, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Jarmzay macrumors newbie

Just bought a 2008 MBAluminum from a friend. I am wondering if I can add RAM to it from a couple of sources:

Can I add RAM from this laptop to it? asus u46e-bal5

Can I add RAM from a 2013 MB air to it?

Also:

My trackpad won't click - I think it is a battery issue. How do I replace the battery? Where would I get one?

Thanks.

----------

Also, will Yosemite work on it? Even if I do install more RAM?

2. Jarmzay thread starter macrumors newbie

Also-also!

My trackpad won't click - I think it is a battery issue. How do I replace the battery? Where would I get one?

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you have a 2008 Aluminum MacBook or a MacBook Air? It is hard to tell as you say "MBA" which indicates a MacBook Air usually.

4. Jarmzay thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

1. Your MacBook takes up to 8 GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM. The RAM from the ASUS may work, but some MacBooks have issues downclocking faster RAM so I recommend just ordering some new RAM.

2. No. The RAM is soldered to the Logic Board on a MacBook Air.

3. The battery may cause issues with the track pad. Try removing the battery and running with just the MagSafe adapter.

6. Bomb Bloke macrumors regular

Bomb Bloke

My memory's a little foggy on when Apple started doing this, but modern Macbooks don't have "visible" trackpad buttons - the pad is simply a flat panel.

Which means that new users can't tell that the buttons only exist down around the bottom inch of the pad. If you're pressing in the middle it won't work - not unless you apply an excessive amount of force, anyway.

Odds are enabling tap-to-click would give you the behaviour you're after.