Just got a 23" ACD...slight problem, need your opinions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ProMod, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I just got a 23" ACD and for the most part, it's awesome. The color and uniform brightness have made me hate my 17" MBP hi-res screen. I thought the MBP had a good display until I started using this thing!

Anyway, I have a slight problem with the ACD. It has no dead pixels or anything, and is perfect except for a horizontal line that runs from end to end, dead center on the display. It is not clearly defined and sort of blurry, and is most visible on blues and grays and especially on solid colors. It's one of those things that you may not see unless you are looking for it or know it's there.

My question is, based on others' experiences, whether I should take it into the Apple store and ask for a replacement or not press my luck and stick with the one I have.

2. plumpan macrumors regular

You gave Apple your money for it, so you are completely within reason to request a perfectly functioning product. I suggest you ask for a new one if you know somethings wrong with yours :eek:.

By the way, I have the same MBP as you (17" hi-res), and am looking to get a 30" display (possibly ACD). I love my MBP display to death right now, but you've got me excited at the idea of an ACD blowing it away!!

3. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

If there is a somewhat visible line that they will be able to see, I would plan on taking it back.

I also have a MBP 17" high res Matte Screen and also a 23" ACD and 30" HP LP3065 and both the larger monitors blow away the 17" high res, agreed.

I still like the 17" high res however.

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

Dead pixel, tough. Line in the monitor, big problem. Take it back and do not take no for an answer.

The ACDs really do blow everything else out of the water. I do not find them "necessary" for what I do, but I do appreciate how nice they are. I think the ACDs are more than I need, and my matte MBP is just what I need. My girlfriend's macbook drives me up the wall though...

5. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. I have an appointment at the "genius bar" this morning, and I will write back and let you know how it went.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Absolutely take it back, and don't take any bull****. They owe you a new display. Make sure to check the new one before leaving the shop too.

7. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Went to the Apple store and they switched it no problem. The new display seems to be problem free. One odd thing though, the replacement they gave me has gray cabling, where the other one had white cabling. My guess is the replacement is slightly older, but it seems fine.

8. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

Anytime I buy something with an LCD, I ask to open it in the store to inspect it before paying. This way, you can find one that's to your liking before taking it home. I've never had any problems with this, especially at the the Apple store. They've always let me open boxes until I found one that was perfect. It's never taken me more than 2 or 3 tries to find one.

9. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

I opened it in the store. Everything looked ok there, but it was hard to gauge. Apple's genius bar computers conveniently don't have any solid backgrounds loaded on them.

10. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

11. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does anybody know how old the display is because it has the older gray cabling vs. the white? It's also the older style covering on the cables that was a harder plastic, not the more malleable type they use today. Not a big deal, just curious.

12. gotzero macrumors 68040

There are websites where you can enter serials and determine some things about build/age. I do not know how accurate they are. I did a quick google search but could not find any. I have 23"s made after the last update, that do have white cables.

If they gave you back a refurb I would say return again unless it is perfect. Sometimes getting something individually tested is a good thing...

13. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually found a website that shows information like what you described (though it's mostly in Dutch). Here is the link: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

It actually shows my monitor as being produced in December 07 (it shows all 2007 dates as 1997 for some reason, I verified it with my iPhone and MBP). Seems to be accurate. Shows the right build month for my CTO MBP from back in July of 07.

Kinda weird that this is actually a newer model.

14. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

After some more digging, apparently Apple reassigns fresh serial numbers to refurbished products.

I smell a refurb.

15. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm noticing now that I am running the monitor at full brightness, whereas I could only run the other one comfortably at a little more than half brightness. I'm almost positive I have an older display that was made before the spec bump, refurbished somehow, stuck with a new serial from December 07, and released back into the wild. It's going back to the store though. I tend to have bad luck with electronics, unfortunately.