Just got a 29" MTN Bike, Anyone Ride One?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rapmastac1, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Rapmastac1, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

My Trek got stolen last month and all I had left was my road bike, which wasn't going to make it through winter. I went out today and picked up a Mongoose Deception, a 29" beast of a mountain bike. It's hard to get going at first but once you are moving, you can't be stopped.

I spent a few hours modifying it earlier this morning, this is what it looks like now. I've still got a few things left to do. Puncture proofing my tires is at the top of my list, followed by a new set of waterproof panniers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have two locks carried on this bike as well as a hard lock for when I park it at home. My last bike was stolen right from our covered patio area in the back. Here is the Trek I had;

[​IMG]
    Taken on the back side of the Bountiful Canyon. Just to get to this area takes two hours, and can't be accessed by cars, only four wheelers.

[​IMG]
    This was taken above Bountiful BLVD, this is as high as cars can get on this mountain area.

[​IMG]
    This was taken in Farmington where the old train used to run many years ago.

Here is my road bike, just needs to be cleaned, disassembled, and stored in a locked shed for the winter.

[​IMG]
    Taken about five miles away from where the last picture I posted my Trek was.

[​IMG]

What have you got?

2. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

3. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

That bike kind of reminds me of the Surly big bikes. They have 26" rims, but the tires are super huge, special order tires.

[​IMG]

These bikes are great for all terrain and snow, but I can't imagine how much work it takes to get the and keep them moving, with all that traction and friction.