just got a 2nd mac... questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by melissarae, Jul 15, 2009.

1. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

i have an iMac. i have an iPhone. i now have a MBA. normally i sync my iPhone to my iMac. but what's going to happen when i plug my iPhone into my MBA when i'm on the go to charge it? will i be able to listen to my music on my iPhone though my MBA?

also, what happens with my email when i get on my iMac and check it... then leave for the day and check my email on my MBA? i use gmail via the mail app.

i know i can get mobileme to push everything up into a cloud... but is there a way to import my contact/iCal/email/etc from my iMac to my MBA without mobileme? are there any work arounds besides getting mobileme?

forgive me for asking so many questions. thanks in advance for help :) i'm a newbie multi-mac owner haha.

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Just sync with your iMac. When you plug in to your MBA, you will be given the option to sync or not sync. Don't sync to the MBA if all you want do is charge the iPhone.

You should be able to access all mail on both computers whether on the web server or your ISP server.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Make sure your gmail is set up as an IMAP account and not a POP account. IMAP accounts are good for checking your email on multiple computers using mail or other similar apps like thunderbird or postbox(I use postbox and love it). Postbox also makes it super easy to set up a gmail IMAP account.

4. melissarae thread starter macrumors regular

melissarae

thank you...

it's currently set up at a pop.gmail.com how do i set it up as IMAP?

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

http://tinyurl.com/ldfnan

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Use this page for setting up a gmail account on apple mail. Even though it is an old post for Mail 2.0 it should be similar in the newest version of mail. Just make sure when you are setting it up, you don't select "automatically set up account." Mail automatically sets gmail up as a POP account if you use this.

7. melissarae thread starter macrumors regular

melissarae

what if i've already done the automatic setup? can i still change it to a IMAP setup? i didn't know not to do it :(

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

i would just create another account with the same email address with IMAP settings and then delete your old POP account. Unless you have important mail on the POP account that you need to save, then I would go ahead and delete it. Send yourself a test message before you delete the old account just to make sure the new one is working properly and receiving emails the way it should.