Just got a 5.5 G for $50

Discussion in 'iPod' started by 2FAST4U, Nov 30, 2007.

1. 2FAST4U macrumors newbie

I already have a 5G white ipod 30gb. So my friend has an iPod 5.5G 30gb white and want to buy my head phone he says that only the left channel is playing on his headphones, well I tryed my new ones on it and sure enough only the left channel. Well I offered to fix it, he says ok, so I take it home and look at the headphone jack, well one of the copper pins was bent away from where it would touch your male headphone jack. I tried every thing, but nothing, finally he calls me I tell him I cant fix it, but He could buy a new jack for $25 well he is the type that doesn't care it is broken. Well when I walked it into his job, I had a nice new crisp $50 Dollar bill in hand, I was like I will buy it for $50, he thought about it for a second said sure. Cha Ching, well I got it home and was testing the jack with more detail, well I tore the metal surround on the jack off and looked at the bent pin, well I touched my pocked knife to it and the male headphone jack and sure enough right channel started working, well the pin was jammed, I took and soldiered a small soldier bubble to the pin and voila it worked. Now instead of paying $75 "50 for the iPod and 25 for the new jack" I payed 50 and fixed it myself, the internet said it was unrepaireble, well I fixed it! and got a $250 iPod for $50!!

Wow I bet he is going to be mad, I proably won't tell him I got it fixed lol he might want it back. :D

2. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Lol, good job. You could sell it on for 200 maybe ;)

3. Dino451 macrumors 6502

How good a friend is he?

If he is a good friend you should return the money and just charge him a few bucks for the repair. If not then don't tell him. :eek:

4. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

So basically you told your friend you couldn't fix it, then you gave him about 25% of what its worth...and fixed it???

No offense, but that doesn't seem very nice...

5. TimJim macrumors 6502a

6. 2FAST4U thread starter macrumors newbie

Nonono, he gave it to me after school i messed with it for an hour till i had to go to work and couldn't get it fixed, i had no idea that i could fix it, I bought it with the intentions of buying a new headphone jack. when I bought it from him after work I sat and worked testing different pins in the jack with the back off the ipod.

People at work offered me $100 for it lol. I think I may keep it, the one I bought for 300 will stay nice and new and this one I wont have to worry if it gets scratched, cause it already is.

7. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

You should offer to sell the iPod back to your friend.

8. cforand1293 macrumors regular

good job, your friend was dumb enough to sell it and your smart enough to buy it. I would have done the same thing. I buy broken ipods off of ebay all the time and fix them to resell. Enjoy your new ipod.

9. xxstatic macrumors member

I can beat that, I bought one from a guy on C/L for 40$ it displayed the "connect to iTunes" to update screen.
    He couldn't get it to update I tired as well with no luck so I opened it up and discovered the the hd connector ribbon was dislodged somehow so after I reconnected it it worked as new.:)

10. 2FAST4U thread starter macrumors newbie

Sold to my dad and bought a 3rd gen 4gb nano for $50. had the orig box, working headphones, and all. in great condition.