Just got a Blackberry, really quick ATT question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wnxgenral, Aug 6, 2009.

1. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

So I just picked up a blackberry bold to try out against my iPhone 3GS... In theory I know I can just switch the sim cards but do i have to call ATT and change plans? Because I am on an iPhone plan do I have to switch to a Blackberry plan?

Thanks,
    Jack

p.s. Sorry I didnt know where else to post this, everyone here is an ATT expert :)

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

www.crackberry.com

or from your phone, dial 611 and ask AT&T yourself.

I never understood why people always go online to ask ATT question that can better be answered by calling ATT direct.

3. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Why don't you just ask the real AT&T experts...AT&T?:confused:

4. iDeve1oper macrumors member

Thanks for choosing the forums for support. If you need email service switching the sime card wont work. You "may" be able to browse on BB but thats it. For full data access you'll have to get BIS (blackberry Internet service).

On the other hand if you had a BB plan you can switch the SIM to iPhone for data.

You may already know this, if not, hope this helps. BTW, if BB push email isn't important to you then you don't need a BIS plan. You can access mail via web browers. (BB browser, Bolt browser or Opera mini browser)

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You are not the only one.

6. iDeve1oper macrumors member

Maybe due to the QOS of AT&T? Some/most times you can't even get someone on the phone who actually "knows" about smartphones/service issues. :p

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

So how is the Bold stacking up for you? Is it even comparable to the iPhone?

My biggest problem with the switch would be the loss of certain apps. Does BB provide an usable todo application? What kind of chat apps are available (other than BBM)?

8. staticliner macrumors newbie

You need to have the BlackBerry plan in order to get the Service Books in order for the browser to work.

The good news is when you switch back to the iPhone you can keep the BlackBerry data plan on there and your browser will still work.

If you plan on switching back to the iPhone relatively soon I would probably make sure they keep the Visual Voicemail active.

9. staticliner macrumors newbie

Prophet... I've used the Bold and I personally liked it. As far as chat apps I was using BeeJive (also an iPhone app) and that seemed to work really well. Other than that you can get ICQ, Yahoo, AIM, MSN, etc.

You can do "To Do" on there, but I've never really found a use for it.

Before you all flame me for trying to hype up a Bold I would like to say that I'm very happily using a 16GB White 3G which I wouldn't trade for the world. The BlackBerry OS locks up way too much for my preference...

10. Prospekt macrumors regular

BB apps are more expensive usually and there's not as many apps. Beejive has the best chat app on the BB. It was one of my favorite BB apps with my Bold.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

That's what I use on my iPhone.

Did you have the same "locking up" problems with your Bold?

12. army91c macrumors 6502a

An even bigger question still..... why is he asking a question about a bb when he is in the iPhone forum?

13. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

That's not a bigger question.

That's a stupid question that tells everybody you didn't read the OP.

14. staticliner macrumors newbie

Trying to send an MMS would make my Bold angry. Some versions of the operating system were a bit better, but all never fully corrected the issue. The app "Quick Pull" was my best friend.

Not upgrading to the 3GS was a tough decision, but I think things are going to be very interesting next year.

15. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I did, mainly when using the web browser.

16. Prospekt macrumors regular

At first I had some problems with locking up but that was with the stock AT&T firmware. With any newer version firmware my Bold ran flawless. Some data heavy websites may slow down the default browser but with any other browser like Bolt or Opera mini you should be fine.

17. iDeve1oper macrumors member

Great advice dude! :D

18. iDeve1oper macrumors member

Yup its easier data wise to switch to iPhone than switching SIM to BB. I'm sure you'll be back to iPhone soon enough :)

19. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

I find this app to be absolutely hilarious since so all of my blackberry owning friends have this app. "Hey, my phone is a piece of crap and locks up all the time. But now, it's so easy. All I have to do is open this app and it saves me the hassle of having to pull the battery cover off and removing the battery! Thanks Quick Pull!!"

Yeah, that new Blackberry OS is working out reeeeealll nice! :apple:

20. iDeve1oper macrumors member

Dude I just laughed out loud. Nice 1 :D

On a serious notebattery pulling, even if its software induced... isn't a good practice at all. Maybe RIM should also enclose the battery. Because as per your post it is being abused and not just as a very very last resort.

21. Prospekt macrumors regular

Yes it was very annoying pulling the battery on my old curve. However with the new BBs (tour, curve 8900, all future BBs) there is more memory so you don't really need to pull the battery.

22. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

Blackberries can be extremely stable if you remember to close out your applications once you're done. A lot of people complain that the iPhone can't multitask, but I see why Apple doesn't allow it. Blackberries need a better task manager, like Windows Mobile and WebOS.

23. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I am in a similar boat as you. I have had a 16Gb iPhone 3G for a little over a year, and recently picked up another Blackberry Bold. I had to switch my data plan over to the blackberry one so I could use BIS. I have tried swapping the sim back into my iPhone and it still works, however Visual Voicemail does not work as no other AT&T phone is provisioned for it. I figured that's a minor loss to be able to use both phones whenever I want.

Personally I had so many problems with my iPhone that it made me want to switch. I didn't sell it because I still use it like an iPod Touch due to some of the apps I have on there.

I've had zero problems with my Bold. It's a great communication device.