Just Got A Call from Apple

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
After the whole fiasco the other day I wound up e-mailing Tim Cook in disgust that the people with the upgrade option didn't stand a fair chance at getting the phone on release day since we couldn't get into the App. I told them by the time I got in it was 15 minutes past the hour and the earlier ship date was 11/17-24.

So today I get a call from Austin, Texas and I pick it up not knowing who it was. It was an assistant of Tim Cooks to speak to me about my experience. She went on to explain that it was because of the volume of people trying to get on, yada, yada... I said I understand that but I've purchased everyone version of the iPhone since the 3g and my wife and I have been a member of the upgrade program. I said for loyal customers such as myself and many of you, who purchase every version of the phone and have numerous other apple products that we should pretty much be guaranteed a phone on release day since we are the most loyal. It should be a perk of the program.

She agree'd and said she would pass on the information. She also said they would refund my first payment on the new phone once I make it. She said my date is one of the best ones right now and although she could not guarantee it there is a chance my phone will ship sooner.

Kinda nice to see them reach out to me so fast. I'm still annoyed but it is great customer service by Apple. The only thing that can make me 100% happy is to get me my phone on release day but she said there is no way for her to do that...

Goldfrapp

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2005
I understand your frustration, but everyone should be given equal opportunity of getting their iPhone on launch day, and that's what Apple did and did their best. Whether you bought every iPhone in the past or not, it doesn't mean your should be guaranteed something or given special treatment in return. That's called entitlement.

Last edited:

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
The sense of entitlement of iUP users is insane. iUP is not some sort of "loyalty" program (and neither Apple says it is or markets it in that way). It's a program where you buy iPhones on installments (vs. paying full amount every year) and get an option to upgrade to a newer phone every year (instead of going through the process of selling your existing iPhone, and paying off the old loan, it's done for you automatically).

In other words, it's a "convenience" program, and that's also the reason why you get an interest-free loan.

iUP members are no more loyal than people who buy iPhone's every year by paying the whole amount upfront rather than in installments.

Also, Apple allowed existing iUP members to go through pre-approval so they can have the same chance at getting an iPhone as those if us who are buying it by paying the entire amount upfront.

Anyway, every one had problems while ordering, I have a shipping estimate of 2-3 weeks because the website went live 10 minutes later, but I am not whining about it and sending emails to Tim Cook. I can wait 2 more weeks, not a big deal. It could've been a lot worse, 10 minutes later, the ship date could've been 6-8 weeks, or worse, January 2018.

Learn to be happy, & remove the idea from your mind that iUP is a loyalty program or Apple owes you a guaranteed brand new iPhone every year.

GDF

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Completely agree, just because anyone is on the yearly iPhone upgrade program does not mean they should get priority. I upgrade my families iPhones and pay everything upfront, so no different than the upgrade program. I like how the whole process is first come first served.

I understand your frustration, but everyone should be given equal opportunity of getting their iPhone on launch day, and that's what Apple did and did their best. Whether you bought every iPhone in the past or not, it doesn't mean your should be guaranteed something or given special treatment in return. That's called entitlement.

Jimpilot

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
No
It’s not unusual for businesses to offer loyalty perks to frequent customers. Look at airline miles, the grocery store card and charge card points. IUP members are in effect committed to Apple more than a purchase customer going forward.

Anyone can join IUP, so why not a benefit for those who are Apple’s (arguably) most loyal committed customers.

Just sayin

Reactions: dolphin2421

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I really don't see the allure of the Apple program. In my opinion, it doesn't offer anything more than one cannot get on his or her own. And I agree with those who said that those a part of said program should not be entitled to first crack at ordering. And I also agree that it doesn't matter how many Apple products one has previously owned.

Being a member of the program did not guarantee you launch day delivery. I think it is in poor form that you emailed Tim complaining that your entitlement mindset didn't get what it wanted on the exact day you expected. You had an adult temper tantrum and now you want to brag about Apple placating you. Way to go.

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
It’s not unusual for businesses to offer loyalty perks to frequent customers. Look at airline miles, the grocery store card and charge card points.

Anyone can join IUP, so why not a benefit for those who are Apple’s (arguably) most loyal committed customers.
They do it so their customers don't flock to another competitor. Apple doest have to do it, because their products sell in massive numbers no matter what.

Look at other phone manufacturers, they always offer someone for free so more people buy their phones. Apple doesn't do it, because they know people will still buy their products, no matter what.

People are buying the $1000+ X and there's so much demand for it. Apple didn't have to include free AirPods or a free 1 year Apple Music subscription to make the phone more enticing. People are still buying it in big numbers.

KL77

Suspended
Oct 27, 2017
It's not entitlement, it's business. Apple bills the iPhone Upgrade Program as offering certain benefits, and then it fails to provide those benefits. I don't expect to be catered to because I'm part of the IUP, but when you sell the program as something and fail to live up to it, you better believe you're gonna piss those customers off. The whole "whiny" and "entitled" label that you guys on this forum throw about left and right is silly. It's business, there are contracts that must be lived up to. That you would eat it in a similar situation shows not our entitlement, but your lack of fortitude, sorry. IUP users are the most lucrative users that Apple has and they have spat in their faces two years in a row.

FYI OP, the refund of the last payment is not some special benefit this lady is giving you, it's part of the IUP terms.

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had every iPhone on launch day since the 3G, I have a couple of Apple watches, the latest iPad, a MacBook Pro, and countless accessories. I should be compensated heavily for being such a loyal customer. Hell, I'm even a shareholder. I should have the iPhone X before it's release date. /s

Jimpilot

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
No
They do it so their customers don't flock to another competitor. Apple doest have to do it, because their products sell in massive numbers no matter what.
Well just ask BlackBerry how fast that can change if your customer base leaves you. Of course technology had a lot to do with that but their are numerous other example of customers disappearing.

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Well just ask BlackBerry how fast that can change if your customer base leaves you. Of course technology had a lot to do with that but their are numerous other example of customers disappearing.
People left BlackBerry because they were extremely slow to reach to market changes, the firm stuck doggedly to the idea that fiddly plastic keys were not only desirable, but preferable to sleek, elegant devices, and that if it churned out enough they would still sell. This never happened.

People didn't leave BlackBerry because they didn't offer free goodies with their phones.

Apple products have historically sold in record numbers, and they NEVER had to sell free goodies with their products to sell it, it just sells, even if it's overpriced.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
FYI OP, the refund of the last payment is not some special benefit this lady is giving you, it's part of the IUP terms.
Its actually refund of the first payment, however I did not know this.

Lots of valid points brought up here.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
After the whole fiasco the other day I wound up e-mailing Tim Cook in disgust that the people with the upgrade option didn't stand a fair chance at getting the phone on release day since we couldn't get into the App. I told them by the time I got in it was 15 minutes past the hour and the earlier ship date was 11/17-24.

So today I get a call from Austin, Texas and I pick it up not knowing who it was. It was an assistant of Tim Cooks to speak to me about my experience. She went on to explain that it was because of the volume of people trying to get on, yada, yada... I said I understand that but I've purchased everyone version of the iPhone since the 3g and my wife and I have been a member of the upgrade program. I said for loyal customers such as myself and many of you, who purchase every version of the phone and have numerous other apple products that we should pretty much be guaranteed a phone on release day since we are the most loyal. It should be a perk of the program.

She agree'd and said she would pass on the information. She also said they would refund my first payment on the new phone once I make it. She said my date is one of the best ones right now and although she could not guarantee it there is a chance my phone will ship sooner.

Kinda nice to see them reach out to me so fast. I'm still annoyed but it is great customer service by Apple. The only thing that can make me 100% happy is to get me my phone on release day but she said there is no way for her to do that...
What’s the email address you sent? I need to send one

Reactions: dolphin2421

KL77

Suspended
Oct 27, 2017
What’s the email address you sent? I need to send one
I believe it's tcook@apple.com. I wouldn't even bother, unless you appreciate being paid lip service. He isn't responding, it's a PR shill who is going to say "sorry it happened, we value your feedback, but we can't do anything this year and will take it into consideration next year. oh you also can upgrade at the same time next year by just paying 3 extra payments to catch up to the release date". Saved you some time.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin

You can get one on launch date. I have buy it from me for $2k lol.space grey 256gb.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
So the program was built to subsidize the cost of the phone and being included in that program doesn’t make anyone anymore loyal to Apple than the next guy handing over a grand or more that’s ludicrous

cwilliams706

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Columbus, GA
It's great to hear that someone from executive services contacted you, and offered to refund your first installment. I don't think that Apple should introduce a "priority" system though, they'd end up losing customers.