Just got a cooling pad (good plan)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ri0ku, Jul 1, 2009.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I just bought a cheap £13.99 laptop cooling pad from a small pc shop near my home (you know the kind.. they pretty much have nothing in them or nothing to date with pc technology anyway...)

Its not a make like belkin or anything its just a cheap one from a company called startech or something..

Anyway I play a few games in windows via bootcamp and as you all know the macbook turns into an untouchable heatsink lol...

I do the whole boot into osx use smcfancontrol to bump the fans up then go into windows.. but I thought maybe if I get a cooling pad it will help a little more and well no damage is done in using one...

I have notised a pretty cool (no pun intended) drop in temps overall... and this is from a cheap 1,500 (can go up to 1,700) cooling pad...

In OSX (and today it is a hot day here in the UK just before I applied the cooling pad i was idling at around 39C - 42C now with the pad I am at 35C... not a huge difference but its a nice drop.

So I went into windows and played some team fortress 2 everything set on high and played for like 10 mins or so.. enough to heat the macbook pro up... it easily reached 80C and the top left upper parts of the macbook pro get so hot its actauly untouchable... well it still damn hot with the cooling pad...and still nearly untouchable however... my drop in temp is from the 80C - 84C region of now 76C - 78C again not a huge drop but one none the less...

And this was with a cheap cooling pad.. so if you splashed out and tracked down a decent one online who knows ? I think the levitating the macbook at the back up more vertical deffinatly helps (obviously) as the airflow circluates better and this cooling pad also does that.

I must admit I havnt done a "propper" full test with this as I was only playing for a short time... and air in the room conditions etc... but its still cooling slightly.

I was using coretemp in windows to measure temps

cheers guys

2. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

3. 1ne macrumors regular

LOL. It's a tube. Agreed not worth 40 bucks.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I got myself a cheap little Belkin USB powered fan; it works wonders. It definitely cools down whatever laptop you're using by a large degree. Definitely worth it if you game or use it for long periods of time. :)
    [​IMG]

5. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

The belkin ones look nice, but there are complaints about it that the intake can get clogged up making the fan useless under those circumstances. I guess it's not that great for when you want it in your lap in bed or on a plush cushion or something...

I found a cheap deal for the logitech cooling pad n100, $17.97, meant for bigger laptops from 15'' to 17''. Here's the link I posted on slickdeals about it.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?p=21239175#post21239175