Just got a free eMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Davy.Shalom, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

So I just picked up a free eMac off the street, complete with apple wired mighty mouse and the old style pro keyboard. It also came with the Apple eMac swivel stand. I'm planning on taking that off, though. It has no scratches, but there are a couple of scuffs. I'll post pics tomorrow after I open it up and blow out the case.

Specs:
    1.25 GHz G4
    160 GB HD
    Superdrive
    1 GB RAM
    Airport Extreme

The badge on the optical drive inner door reveals this is from 2006.

A quick search on craigslist reveals that the eMac appears to be the 21st century mac with the lowest resale value ever produced..

2. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Pretty much, I have my 2004 1Ghz eMac in mint condition in the box in storage, $1200 new, worth maybe $20-40 now. But got a fantastic 5 years of use out of her. I actually thought I would have to make a recording of the ridiculously loud fans when I upgraded, because I wasn't sure I could accomplish anything without them.

She was my first, so I keep her around! Enjoy!

3. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

For some reason the design doesn't appeal to me as much as the last revision of iMac G3s did. I have a snow G3, and I think the proportions are much better.

My first was the 12" PowerBook in my description. Got it in 2002 at age 7 and still use it today for note-taking and recording lectures. Gotta love these old machines!

4. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

But the eMac went from 15" to a MASSIVE 17"!!! Bad design, but they still work 8+ years later, my dad still has and uses a 13 year old iMac. This is why people love Apple!

5. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I think the e in eMac should stand for egg, or enormous. This thing looks like an egg and it weighs a ton. Damn flat panel crt!

Attached Files:

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Nice! Do you have any plans for it? I bought a 1GHz eMac for $50 and swapped the logic board for 1.42GHz, upped the RAM to 2GB and installed Airport Extreme and Bluetooth. Great little machines. Pretty cool that you got it for free. :D

7. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I love emacs, but I have never owned one, I once had a chance to get a 1.42ghz for free but didn't take it. I still regret not taking the deal :(

8. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Well I dismantled it, dusted out the inside, studied the internal design (they really crammed a lot in there), and then put in in the corner of my room.

I really have no use for it. However, after I took the stand off I realized how much better it looks. It really looks just fine without the stand.

Still looks like an egg...

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I wish that the eMacs had a carrying handle like the G3 iMacs.

I saw an eMac a few months ago at a thrift store. Looked a the specs and decided against getting it. I think it was 700MHz. Also, it was a few bucks more than I was willing to pay.

10. Liquinn Suspended

Nice :D I'd love to get my hands on one with the box. That would be cool. What do you intend to do with it? :D what's your current setup? :)

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Very nice find. Keep the stand around. Apple didn't sell to many of those. If you truly don't want it, sell it on eBay for $30. You can overclock the CPU in there to a stable 1.5Ghz. I did that to mine and it made a good improvement.

12. MaxHeap macrumors member

MaxHeap

I have a 1.42. How stable are those up to?

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not sure. I've never really looked into overclocking a 1.42Ghz eMac. If its anything like the 1.42Ghz PowerMac G4 it won't react well to being sped up.

14. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I intend to let it sit in the corner of my room so I can look at it.. hahaha.
    My current setup is the Mac Pro in my description. I have it hooked up to that crappy AOC 22" monitor and the brick of a Planar 19" in the background of one of the pictures. I love that machine, but I've always wanted a G5 quad!

----------

What I am about to say is pure speculation and assumption.. but wasn't the 1.42 GHz just an overclocked 1.25 anyway? Or did it use a separate updated G4 module?

15. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah I see. :p I bought a G5 the other day (expecting it today).

Do you prefer the Mac Pro or the Powermac G5? :p :)

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The PowerMac G4 1.42Ghz? I think it is simply an overclocked 1.25Ghz G4. That's why they don't react well to being overclocked. I don't know if the 1.42Ghz eMac is the same or not.

17. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I would assume it is the same, considering in system profiler it appears as a powermac chipset.

----------

I prefer the G5 because it feels like I am using something unique, not just an aluminum box with PC innards and a fancy operating system. I like the feeling of nostalgia associated with the use of PPC..

18. Liquinn Suspended

Yeah that's what I felt when using my G5. What other PPC Macs would be best to buy next? :)

19. Davy.Shalom thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

To be honest, all of the pre-intel Macs I own except for the G4 cube and the PowerMac G5 are hand-me-downs.

I have the following Apple computers:

PowerBook 170 (1991)
    iMac G3 Snow 600 MHz
    iMac G4 700 MHz
    PowerBook G4 Titanium 667 MHz
    iBook G4 12" 1 GHz
    PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450 MHz
    eMac G4 1.25 GHz
    PowerMac G5 2.3 DC
    Mac Pro 8 core 3 GHz

My aunt works at Apple so I get the hand-me-downs...

My favorites are the iMac G3, G4 cube, Titanium PowerBook, and the PowerBook G4 12". I think it's the best portable apple ever made. If you like iconic designs go get an iMac G4.