Just got a FREE G5 Dual 2.5 GHz...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DeuceDeuce, Jul 9, 2009.

1. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

So, a couple days ago I find out one of my friend is going to "E Waste" his old PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz machine.

I told him I would take it off his hands figuring it wasn't working but why not, right? Well, the thing works perfectly and I'm stoked about it. My wife has a first gen BlackBook that she "docks" and uses as a desktop at home. Now, since she doesn't use anything that requires Intel chips she can use this nearly "E Wasted" G5 as a desktop.

Long story short, I have only been a part of the Mac community since the Intel days so I was wondering if there is anything I should know about the G5 in relation to maintenance or anything like that? Im sure there isn't much of a difference but just wanted to make sure before I did something stupid.

2. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

BTW, he has this... http://www.barefeats.com/hard36.html in it. I don't have the 2 extra hard drives running because he said the machine got really hot that way.

The thing is the machines fans seem to be working hard ALL the time. Should I try and get an Air Baffle instead of that big contraption? If so, anyone know where I can get one?

3. Earl Urly macrumors regular

Continuous fans could also mean the CPUs need a thermal calibration. You can do a thermal calibration from the Apple System Diagnostics disk for your machine; you might have to look around on the Internet for it

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

We have a Power Mac G5 with a constantly running fan. Or we HAD one I should say. There is a tab in the case that makes the fans run fast when its not pressed down. Open the case, and notice the 3 slots inside the case on the bottom edge. Stick a sheet of thick paper in there, it should flip that button and turn the fans down.

(I created an image with an arrow pointing to the tab you need to fiddle with. Stick paper in there (not tiny pieces, take a longer piece and poke it around in that hole) until the fans kick down)

[​IMG]

5. tobyg macrumors 6502a

I believe if you're missing the plastic air baffle, the fans will run at 100%.

Powermac G5's needed that plastic air baffle. Mac Pro's do not have that and don't need it.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Thus my graphic above, shove paper in there and you are golden. The fans will burn out faster if they run at 100% constantly.

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

They won't even run.

The machine won't power on without the plastic "air baffle".
    ..Well, mine doesn't.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

False. Its not required, however it does keep the fans spinning in check.

9. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Thanks for the help, the thing is I have an aluminum baffle in there now that sits in that slot. There is a link to it in he second post.

Anyways, the fans stopped running all the time. I think they were just doing so because I was backing up to a Time Machine drive thats in the G5 itself so maybe that got it hot. How fast should the fans be spinning and how hot should the temp be when idling?

My fans according to iStat are at 51ish RPM's and temp is at 60.

10. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

My 2.0 always ran, with or with out the cover. Problem was, the fans turned into rocket ships as expected.

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My Dual 1.8Ghz G5 is 51RPM with 57deg right now.

Time Machine is an external. I have two hard drives in.

12. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Thanks! I guess the G5 is right where it should be. It is just so much louder then my Mac Pro so I guess I worried about nothing. Thanks to everyone for the help so far!

13. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Loud? I can't hear either one of my G5's at all.

14. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Maybe its the drives? The thing is much louder then my Mac Pro.

15. mkaake macrumors 65816

Just be aware that with liquid cooled models, louder than normal fans may also indicate coolant is being lost from the system, and needs to be addressed ASAP, lest the coolant find it's way into the power supply and back of the logic board and create permanent damage...

(can you tell my liquid cooled 2.5 dp just bit the dust because of the cooling system?)

16. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

It definitely won't be as quiet as your Mac Pro. PowerPC G5 chips, especially the earlier ones run alot hotter than current Intel Xeons.

The fans should start up full blast on startup for a couple of seconds and then settle down to a slower speed. The speed of course depends on what your doing on the machine, how many hard drives you have, how many video cards and memory you have, etc. The fans were made to run at variable speed, so if you are putting a heavy load on the G5, the fans will speed up.

If you want to hear the difference between full speed and what the fans normally run at, you can run the hardware test CD and the fans will run full blast continually during the hardware test.

Things that can cause the fans to run full speed:
    - the plastic baffle being missing (but in your case the aluminum baffle may have been the third-party one you could buy to replace the plastic one)
    - a kernel panic
    - the hardware test
    - mis-calibration of the fans
    - probably forgetting other reasons...

17. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I bought a G5 recently that had two drives. One of them was loose in the case and made a whole load of noise; simply unmounted it and the machine dropped a few decibels.

Also, checking for leaks is good, too; I believe you have a LCS model. And that coolant is pretty ruddy corrosive as well.

18. California macrumors 68040

California

My G5s are VERY quiet.

If you don't have the plastic baffle, you are playing with fire. There is a metal tab on the baffle that slips into its own position INSIDE the aluminum cover's position that tells the machine it can run normally.

Don't run it without the correct plastic baffle. Repeat this to yourself until you buy one or obtain one.

The fans SHOULD NOT be running full steam.

I had that machine a few weeks ago and it also was VERY QUIET.

19. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Just a note (that may have already been added)--when the fans are running full blast (i.e., the plastic airflow guard is not in place), the machine is running at, I believe, 1.3ghz per processor. Do NOT replace it with a sheet of paper; it will work, but you risk overheating, and the baffles are designed to conduct airflow properly (there are 7+ fans in a G5 and they all work VERY SPECIFICALLY). I don't think it would be that hard to replace, contact Apple, an Apple store or authorized dealer, or look around on ebay...

EDIT: nevermind, you mentioned the aluminum baffle (part of the drive upgrade perhaps?), so you're likely good. That is a weird drive addition, though, mine just screws into the mesh front.

20. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

The aluminum baffle is part of the drive upgrade. Its really heavy and unneeded since Id dont plan on running the drives anyways. I found this one on ebay and Im going to be buying it. Hopefully the machine will run a bit better with it rather then the gimmick in it now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&itemcount=4&salenotsupported

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

21. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I just bought a heatsink from them for my Dell(got it today as a matter of fact). LOL. Great seller though and shipped fast.

Sell that drive extension you got on ebay or CL. My dual G5's were the quietest Macs I've ever owned! But just check for leaks if you have the "quad" G5. That could already be a sign since your fans were overworking.

Wow I could use some friends like that! Great Deal BTW!

Wanna be my friend? :)

22. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

How do I check for leaks? Will there be visible liquid when I open the machine, is it that simple?

23. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yes just look on the bottom in the inside. You can take the processor cover off too if you need to.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G5_coolant_leaks.html

24. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Yep, check for leaks. All liquid cooled G5s live on borrowed time.

25. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

UPDATE: So my buddy who gave me this machine said this G5 already leaked and Apple sent someone out to fix it once already. Is it eventually going to crap out agin?