Just got a G4 iMac, first Mac so can have a stupid question amnesty?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dapper Dan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Dapper Dan macrumors newbie

Hi I just got a 15" G4 iMac 1Ghz 80g hd, 256 RAM

First question, I was going to use this as my jukebox and the speakers sound just fantastic!

...but (and this is probably the dumbest question to start with but when I plug in the iPod Classic I get a message that it requires iTunes v9.0 or later and the iMac is running v4.7.1! is there a way around this?

2. ezramoore, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

ezramoore macrumors 6502a

You will need to update your OS, which means you will also need to add more RAM. 10.5 should get you to iTunes 9.

Not a stupid question at all, and you get amnesty for your username, as far as I am concerned.

3. leman macrumors 604

What OS is installed on your iMac? If I read wikipedia correctly, your machine should support up to OS X 10.5 Leopard for which iTunes 9.2.1 is available.

4. Dapper Dan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks erzamoore
    Yeah I should be picking up an Airport Extreme card tomorrow and then work on updating the OS en route to updating iTunes

I have a bit of a to do list with this iMac bit I hope I'll learn through the upgrades, more RAM is on the way! Hopefully that isn't too hard having seen the online guides and once I'm done it should have 2G of RAM which will be a bit more respectable

----------

Thanks leman
    Its running 10.4.11 right now so yes that needs to be updated totally, do I need to buy a disk or can I do it over the web once the Airport Extreme is in (or would I need to wait for my new RAM?)

5. RedCroissant Suspended

Actually, OS 10.4.11 will run iTunes 9. OS X 10.5 can run iTunes 10.6.3.

What you can do is navigate to Apple's website for the iTunes download and it says on that section that OS X 10.4.11 is capable of running it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1036

Good luck with everything and I think the toughest thing to find might be the right RAM module for it.

***EDIT***

Sorry but that first link is for iTunes 9.1.1. If you want iTunes 9.2.1, then follow this link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1056

6. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

OK:
    To hook up your iPod, you will need to get iTunes 9, which is linked to above. It is compatible with 10.4.11. If you want iTunes 10 (last version being 10.6.3), you'll need Leopard. 11 is not compatible.

To run Leopard, which I would advise against as it isn't needed and has slowdown, you will need to upgrade the RAM for 256 to a minimum of 512. Even at 512, it won't run now. The official maximum for that model is 1GB, but it accepts 2GB; at the time that that reccomendation was made, there were no 1GB RAM sticks with the correct specs.

Also, if you plan to upgrade RAM, there are 2 RAM slots- on is easily accessible and can be accessed by removing the bottom plate of the computer. The other is harder to get at as you have to open up the computer, requiring you to reapply heatsink paste.

7. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

I am running leopard 10.5.8 on my iBook g4 and it supports itunes 10.6.3

8. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Yup. Unfortunately, Apple couldn't wait and now you cannot use the iPhone 5 with PowerPC/iTunes (yes, there are workarounds, some less convoluted than others.)