Just got a gold Verizon iPhone 5S 64GB and the lock button seems recessed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nerdface Killah, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Nerdface Killah macrumors member

Compared to my Verizon 32GB iPhone 5 the lock button seems a tad bit recessed. Is the lock button supposed to be the same height? The way I noticed was I put the iPhone 5S into my Mophie Juice Pack Plus and the lock button on the actual case was recessed as well. For those who went from a 5 to 5S, did anyone else notice this or should I take mine in to be swapped out?

2. I7guy macrumors G5

My lock button is not flush, I don't give it a second thought.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My AT&T 5S is identical to my wife's 5. I guess the real question is how much it bothers you and if you feel it effects the use of the device.

4. EDH667, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Lock button should not be recessed. My 5S lock button is the same as my 5.

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

6. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Agreed, I would return it.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I would get it swapped out while you are still in the return period. After that, you may get a grouchy genius who may tell you its "within spec".

8. Nerdface Killah thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys taking it in today to get it swapped out. When I say recessed though I mean it sticks out above the phone but it sits a lot lower than my iPhone 5. Way lower. And again the way I can tell is when I put my 5S into the Juice Pack Pro I have a hard time pressing the lock button or power button when it's in the case. With the 5 there is no problem at all.

9. Nerdface Killah thread starter macrumors member

Just had the ********* experience at the Apple store at Ala Moana ever. I went there, explained the situation. There were two employees next to each other. They basically ganged up on me and was like yeah nope there's no problem, check out my 5. The guy looked at the two and I could personally see how much more the employee's 5 lock button was protruding above the case than my 5S and I told him I can clearly see a difference but they both ganged up on me and was like nope, there's no difference, if there was a difference I could feel it and I don't feel any difference.

Then I asked to speak to a manager since I wasn't satisfied. I just paid a grip of money for the phone and this is how they treat a customer? It wasn't like I had dipped my phone in water and was trying to pull a fast one, all I wanted was for them to swap it out because clearly my **** is not up to par.

I spoke to the manager in charge and she goes nope, I have a Mophie and this is exactly how it feels. She was like sorry if there is a defect like the lock button isn't working I could do something but there's nothing wrong here. She said take it back to Verizon since you just got it in a real sarcastic tone like I really didn't only get it yesterday. I am going to take it back to Verizon, cancel it and go to another carrier and just get a new phone altogether.

10. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Is there a functional problem or is this just standard idevice OCD? The apple employees are very jaded to that kind of stuff. Hard to judge without pics

11. Nerdface Killah thread starter macrumors member

I'll try and get pics before I take it back to Verizon but it's a functional problem to me. I have to press hard as hell to lock the phone while it's in my Mophie case. The iPhone 5 doesn't take much pressure at all.

12. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

13. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Who cares it's just a $749 investment!

14. Nerdface Killah thread starter macrumors member

I paid $849 when you pay that much you at least expect the product to be perfect.

Luckily I took it to the Verizon store, had a really nice rep who helped me out and swapped it for me and he confirmed for me that I wasn't imagining things when I compared my 5 to the 5S. After he gave me the new 5S I could tell clearly just by looking at it the lock button was a lot taller and not as recessed and it also worked fine once I put it back into the Mophie case. All is well.

15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Its probably the case, not the phone. I've had some cases that were really hard to press the lock button, then a different but same case had zero issues.

16. Nerdface Killah thread starter macrumors member

I wish it was the case. I got it swapped at Verizon and the new 5S lock button is normal. No more gimp lock button.

17. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Guess you didn't catch the purposed sarcasm there...

18. Nerdface Killah thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I did not :)