Just got a iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrt209, May 22, 2011.

1. mrt209 macrumors 6502

So, I decided to buy an iPad for reading and light computing and was able to get one on Friday after 3 days of checking every store in my area.

So far I'm loving it! :) It felt a bit heavy at first, but I'm used to it now. Have a few questions though.

-Is Apple care or square trade worth it?

-Are there any must-have apps I should check out? (So far I've bought Mr. Reader, best reader app imho, reeder, and newsrack, doesn't even work).

-Can I pass protect the mail app? If not is there an app that lets me pass protect my mail?

-The Apple salesperson told me not to charge it through the computer... why shouldn't I charge it when plugged in to my mac pro? Or was she just saying it since most people have laptops?

-Do I need to calibrate the battery or anything like that? Should I always try to keep it charged or let it drain once in a while?

-Anything else I need to know, do?

Thats all the questions I remember right now :p

Thanks!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not that you shouldn't, just that it charges much faster if you use the included power adapter.

3. Built macrumors 68020

I let my battery drain completely periodically, and then charge it to 100 percent...

I have both Apple Care and Square Trade (ADH), but that's probably considered overkill for most. If I had to choose one, I would go with Square Trade.

4. Born Again macrumors regular

All your questions would be answered doing a search :cool:

Oh and cool story bro

5. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah k, thanks :)

K, I'm just confused since it seems people in this forum are split on whether square trade is worth it/good or not. But I think I'll just go with it.

I did search for square trade, but so many different opinions, I'm confused. Same with cover, everyone is recommending a different one, but after a few hours I just went with Coverbuddy.

6. Built macrumors 68020

I have Square Trade on my iPhone 4, Macbook Pro and 2 iPads...I did a lot of research into Square Trade vs others like Worth Avenue Group, and I am happy I did. Their Accidental Damage and Handling policy covers things that Apple Care does not cover, i.e. liquid damage.

Piece of mind is worth the $$$.

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

congrats!

I think Apple Care is a good idea. I bought it for mine.

8. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah love it! :D Some amazing apps out there, like WebMD, correctly diagnosed me with the symptom checker and everything, I'm done going to the DR! :p

9. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Just leave Apple Care for now as you can buy it anytime within your year warranty so just get that when your original year warranty is about to run out to extend it another 2 years.

Squaretrade would be a good option though incase you ever drop it, lost it etc.

I am thinking about Squaretrade as well, I see that you can get it in the UK now through Amazon (Not sure how long it has been available in the UK for) but going off some of the comments I have seen on this site and others about them they seem like a good company so it may be worth going with them.

10. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm going with Sqauretrade. Found a coupon for $30 off but when I finalize the order it fails and says the coupon is reserved for certain buyers. I emailed them and they gave me a new coupon, but it doesn't work as well.

I'm not sure if I should get the 2 year or 3 year warrant though...

11. Born Again macrumors regular

check slickdeals.net for squaretrade offers
    :D

12. swosanity macrumors newbie

Great smart a$$ comment.

13. Born Again macrumors regular

actually i was quite helpful

u must of stopped reading ;)

14. dacapo macrumors 6502

Agreed. Why get Apple Care when the next iPad will likely be here in less than a year? If you're like many folks, you'll be trying to unload this iPad as soon as the next one comes out. And I doubt if you having Apple Care will help its resale value by much.

15. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

Did it come with the backlight bleeding 'feature?' :p

16. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Famous last words :D

17. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

:p :D

Been trying some other cool apps like air video and garage band... :eek: :D

I wish there was a lite version of each app though so I can try them, I've bought a few apps which I'll probably never use again, but I guess thats how they make money :p

18. Smoothness macrumors regular

Haha, yea I got games I played for five mins and never again