Just got a iPad what apps you recommend?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by SilentLoner, Dec 19, 2010.

1. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I'm loving it. Can't get enough of it. Can you recommend any apps?

2. bbhegedus macrumors regular

bbhegedus

Pick up some EA apps while they are on sale. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is a lot of fun. Pages is an incredible powerful app, 1000x better than word even though it's on the iPad. Some games to get would be: Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Fruit Ninja, and Flight Control. Other apps that are good are: Pandora, Twitter, Dropbox, FlipBoard, and Pulse News

3. peled macrumors member

peled

GoodRead Is A good one

When you start take lots of free games and application. even if they are not very useful. Just for exercising

4. SilentLoner thread starter macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

I have an iPhone just wondering about iPad only apps or good dual edition apps.

5. iNtaCt macrumors member

AirVideo, iCab, Friendly facebook, iTeleport.

6. tobasco27 macrumors member

I guess it ultimately depends on what you're looking for.

If you haven't tried Angry Birds, that's an addictive game that everyone enjoys.

I enjoy card games, so my favorites are any solitaire games up to one of my favorites, WSOP Poker.

My favorite news paper is USA Today, and they've got a free app that lets you read every article in the paper - cool display too.

If you're into social networking, Flipboard allows you to access both your Twitter and Facebook accounts easily, and does it in a cool format.

If you like to track weather on radar, get MyRadar

Tips and Tricks for using the iPad is good too

If you like playing with your pictures and want one of the coolest apps I have in my iPad, get ColorSplash. It takes any photo you've added to your iPad and lets you "color in" whatever you want in color while the rest of the picture stays black and white. Then you can print it (I used a wireless printer) for framing. It's really cool. Another one if Face Melter that lets you make funny pictures of your friends and family!

If you're into biorythm's, there's a cool app for that.

Another addicting easy game is DoodleJump.

Have fun with your new iPad! I know I can't get enough of it either!

7. det2004 macrumors 6502

I use the Kindle app a lot on my ipad for reading at night.

I really wish that there were some good sports apps to keep track of scores. I picked up the ESPN app but I really hate how it is organized and the overall layout of it.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you like to shop at Target, check out the iPad app. I was blown away by the ability to read the weekly ad like it was made for iBooks. Another thing to do away with the need for paper. I just need to get my own darn one.

9. abriwin macrumors member

I'd get iPhoto for the iPad, 'cept Apple hasn't released it yet, the Photo app is useless.

10. jazziethomas macrumors member

I played the scrabble from my friend iPad and it was really amazing you even play with other iPad users. EA games can be really interesting too, plants vs zombie and angry birds are also one of the best iPad apps

11. Restinbeast macrumors member

Allow me to save you a lot of time since I am the designated app investigator for my entire family, and have tried a ridiculous # of apps out there:

Browser:
    ICab Mobile is the best I have found (runners up: Atomic, Perfect Browser)

Essential Utilties:
    1password - good luck cracking my 25 character indecipherable passwords - a really good idea to use 1password, and the ipad app is top notch
    Evernote - incredible, free, note taking apps for your computer and ipad
    Dropbox - syncs many apps and your computers with ipad, this like Evernote is an absolutely essential service to run full time on all your machines
    System - just your basic system info app but very useful - memory, batt, etc
    Free Wi-Fi Finder a free hotspot finder that actually works really well and allows you to download locations for viewing w/o internet. Most of us have either 3g or Mifi, but it can still help in a jam
    Air Display - allows you to use your ipad to extend your laptop screen, only necessary if you need such a functionality, but very cool. An example would be if you use Photoshop you can put your brushes on your ipad screen and have them available at your side so you can maximize screen space for whatever you are working on.

Video:
    Netflix - if you don't have netflix streaming, then get it immediately
    Air Video - one of the best apps ever hands down - streams tons of video off your local machines/servers to your ipad)
    VLC- I usually use the native ipad video app but this can handle most other video - not as good as the computer version but still good and likely to get better)

Photo/Drawing:
    ArtStudio - drawing, editing
    Photogene - photo editing
    Adobe Ideas various
    Diptic - photo layouts
    iChalk - rarely bother with these gimmicky type apps but this one is special

Astronomy:
    Nasa HD - they did a real nice job with this and probably just will get better
    Observatory - lots of scientific data
    Star Walk - this is of course one of the most famous apps and very cool
    Planets HD - kinda of the Star Walk for planets

Read:
    Flipboard - !!! doesn't really get better than this free app imo, you create categories and it aggregates a web-based magazine for each topic. The elegance of this app is amazing, there is a reason it was app of 2010
    Skygrid - similar principle to flipboard and I happen to like this one too
    Kindle - duh
    Discover - applies flipboard like principles to wikipedia entries, actually very awesome and I think free? app
    SI Football - if you are a football fan, this is a great example of interactive books on Ipad

News:
    BBC, USA Today, CNN - any of these are decent, I usually prefer the webpages directly but that's just me - i always go to ICab Mobile first
    NPR - this is a pretty special app and has a lot of interactivity. Also it's free of course

Music:
    Pandora - just about the greatest app ever no matter what device you are on
    SoundHound - I personally use soundhound all the the time and have always found it better than Shazam and worth the money)
    Aweditorium - really good interactive music magazine thingie
    Albums - I wouldn't say this is a necessary app by any means but it is quite cool and kinda a show off app if you are proud of your music collection

Movies:
    IMDB - again I usually use the website but this is a good app for what it is
    Flixster - great great way to look up movies and links to Rotten Tomatoes reviews as well
    What's On? - Essential, great app that shows TV listings for basically any service anywhere... I never realized how much better it is to have a guide at your finger tips instead of endlessly scrolling through the on TV menus.

Shopping:
    AppShopper - great alternative to app store surfing, has a lot of extra functionality
    Target, Ebay, Zappos - these are all examples of companies that made decent apps vs a lot of retailers that couldn't be bothered
    Windowshop - truly great shopping app by Amazon which is kind of a shopping free for all
    Deliveries - tracks UPS, Fedex, etc with push notifications, etc.. amazing

Travel:
    FlightTrack Pro - best overall flight app, kinda pricey tho, this one depends on how often you travel.
    Lifelike Clock - my favorite alarm clock
    Weather HD - a popular weather display
    Kayak, Tripadvisor, booking.com - again good options for travel website apps
    Wikihood - cool geo location based info app
    FlightBoard - pretty damn cool, displays arrival departure info for any airport in the world essentially, so no battling other people to see your info when traveling

Other:
    Epicurious - my fiancee uses this non stop for recipes and it is generally regarded as the best food app
    5-0 Radio HD - I think this app is awesome, basically police bands from anywhere and a lot of bonus features
    Magic Window - One of my favorite apps, just download it for 99 cents and you won't regret it. It basically displays relaxing scenes
    Fire HD - another awesome one that simply turns your ipad into a crackling fireplace

Remotes: (use these to control my Home Theatre and network computers)
    Rowmote Pro - simple, long established remote app that seems to always just work better than the rest although I own A LOT of remote apps
    Remote HD - this would be my runner up to rowmote pro, of course these apps are mainly used for controlling your computers, especially if you have them connected to your home theatre
    Sonos for Ipad - if you have sonos then this was probably your first download
    Splashtop - probably the simplest way to view your computer desktop when you are on the same wireless network
    TeamViewer - install TeamViewer on all your computers and your ipad right now. Take a few minutes to set it up and you will be able to control your computers from anywhere in the world.
    Wake - very specialized app for waking your computers on Lan signals out of sleep mode. If you don't know what I am talking about then move along, if you do then download it.

Games:
    Words with Friends HD - like Scrabble but so much better
    Monopoly HD - this game is amazing, play games of monopoly in 30 minutes instead of 3 hours does suck that it's $9.99 with no current discount
    Space Invaders Infinity - extremely impressive arcade game
    Angry Birds, AB Seasons, etc - everyone knows to get these although they are far from my favs
    Solitaire HD - just beautiful solitaire, blows the rest away but costs $$
    Risk, Yahtzee, Snood, Boggle, etc - buy all the 99 cent EA games, they are great and super cheap for next few days
    Little things - one of the best games out there
    Crosswords - expensive but ever expanding collection of real newspaper crosswords from around the country
    Plants vs Zombies - a classic
    Zombieville - one of my absolute favorites
    Lets Golf 2 - heard nothing but good things, hoping to play with my family over holidays

there are a million more games but these are my favs.

That's about everything that I use on a regular basis, I take great pride in the apps I have found as I did a lot of research and I think you will like any of those I listed as long as you have a use for them.

12. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

13. sparkso macrumors member

try Snowblaze HD, it let's you browse multiple web pages windowed / tile style on the same screen.

14. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I like learning languages so I use my iPad to help me with German and Spanish. I'll post back if you're interested in them. EA have a massive sale on at the moment so check them out.

Games
    Aralon HD - RPG
    SimCity DLX
    The Settlers
    Eliss
    Godville (free btw)
    The Incident

For various media related stuff I have:

RadioBOX
    Aweditorium - music app, I think of it like a cut down Pandora.

For writing I use and recommend iA Writer.
    forreading I use iBooks, Stanza and Kindle.

15. Fulcrom macrumors newbie

My top apps

ABC tv app
    PDF expert
    Printcentral
    Atom browser
    Task pad
    Quick office
    Doc to go
    Quick sale
    Ifile
    Idownload
    App backup
    Aptbackup
    Remote HD
    Pages, numbers, notes
    Epicurious
    Dropbox
    Sugarsync
    Google mobile apps
    I have about 120 apps these are the ones I use every day

16. tyguy2021 macrumors newbie

My Favorites:

Ragdoll Blaster 2
    Pandora radio
    Netflix

17. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Instapaper yet. +1 for Flipboard, which I now use as a Google Reader client.

18. Stirolak123 macrumors 6502

Goodreader, pages, netflix, and abc are all a must.

19. Fedorov macrumors 6502

Great post Restinbeast! Same here, I spend a lot of time researching every app in each category to find the best there is to pass on to friends and family.

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I prefer Angry Birds on an iPhone/iPod Touch to on an iPad. Don't know why. I just don't like it big. Smaller feels right to me in terms of how the game feels/responds.

Weird, I know.

+1 for Flipboard.

Interesting that nobody has mentioned SkyFire, though to be honest, I haven't bothered to get it so not recommending it. I just know there are a lot of people out there who need or feel they need access to Flash content.

21. Fedorov macrumors 6502

TweetMag - http://www.tweetmagapp.com/

At first I thought it would be too much like the amazing Flipboard, but it's not, it's different and yet another amazing way to read content.

22. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Air video
    Logmein ignition
    Plants vs zombies
    Sky fire
    Ludo

23. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

sketchbook pro is on sale for 3 bucks. great little drawing app