Just got a Mac Pro 5,1 from 3,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SDAVE, Aug 10, 2014.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I had a 3,1 since my purchase in 2008 and it's been a rock solid machine. Since then I've only upgraded my MacBook Pro's and I finally got my friends MP5,1 (which I plan to upgrade the CPU's later)...right now its 2.4 x 2, 28GB RAM and I put my SSD from my 3,1 and it's a pretty rad machine.

It gets 14447 Geekbench and I know if I get the the X series six core CPUs it goes up to the 28k range rivaling the new mac pro.

Oh also put in a GTX780 in this baby *Mac Hacked* and this machine is incredible now.

Just wanted to let you guys know that there is still helluva lot life left in these 4+ year old machines.

2. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Congrats on your purchase! Still rocking my 3,1 - it does everything I would ever need a computer to do, and this guy just turned 6 this week. :eek: That's one helluva machine, though. CPU upgrades will do wonders, especially with the prices coming down. Throw some hex cores in that baby and you'll be set for a looooong time.
    Enjoy your new machine!
    -N

3. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Congrats! :D It's a nice machine and still adequate for our tasks. We have the same machine and one of the Macs that run at low temperatures. Added USB 3.0 and will add SSD later on. Enjoy your new purchase. Though the 2008 Mac Pro is also a solid machine. I've visited several design firms and some still use 2008 Mac Pros.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Had a 5.1 a while back. Easy to work on, easy to use, and easy to clean.

The new MP? Well, it's not easy is it, and the old ones with a few upgrades are still powerhouses. I'd buy an old one over the new MP anyday.

5. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Just bought a 5.1 myself. Congratulations, just need to decide if I am going to go the upgrade route or resell.

6. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Keep it and upgrade to dual six core next year. The prices should drop dramatically.

7. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

"Upgrade" probably wasn't the correct term. I just bought this system because it was too good of a deal to pass up, but ultimately just looking to end up with a 27" iMac with an SSD and large HDD.

8. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ah that makes sense. Honestly I only got the 5,1 was because of the GTX780, plus it costs cheaper than the TrashMac and I need Cuda...

9. bornblind macrumors 6502

bornblind

I'm looking to get a 780. Are you using external power?

10. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^I have been using a Gigabyte accelerated GTX 780 modified by MVC for close to a year now on internal power on my 5,1 Mac Pro.

Lou

11. AndreeOnline macrumors 6502

AndreeOnline

I have a 5.1 with 10.9.4.

Do I need a flashed card if buying today? I get the feeling that nowadays I could just buy a PC card and plug it in? Might lose the boot screen, but that's it?

12. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Nope. Just using 2 power cables from the logic board. Mind you this is a mac modified GTX780. I think if you don't modify it, you don't get the boot screen and you need extra power.

I used this service:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111421688315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The other one is MacVideoCards which is around the same price range if you provide your own video card...or you can just get it from them but it's pretty pricey.

13. PocketSand11 macrumors 6502a

PocketSand11

That's a nice new Mac you have, but… Mac Pro 3,1 forever!! :) I've got a GTX 650Ti BOOST in mine, and I didn't modify it at all. No boot screen, but I can still press keys while it's booting to make it reset the PRAM, etc. If I hold alt at bootup, the screen remains black, but I can blindly choose the startup disk. Everything seems to work well as long as I'm running OS X 10.8.4 or later (because previous versions have no drivers and won't work).

OK, I know my machine is slower of course. What I envy is your DDR3 RAM. The DDR2 RAM in my Pro is not only slower but way, way more expensive. I won't even upgrade it past the 6GB it came with because I'm not willing to pay that much for old RAM.