Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I just bought a MacBook Pro, 15 inch, hi res screen.

It's really nice, and I really like it!

BUT

Microsoft is giving away a free Xbox 360 if you buy any Windows 7 computer that costs more than $699 (you have to be a student which I am)

I'm really tempted...seems like this is one of those deals that you can't refuse/too good to be true.

What should I do?

mike2732

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011

BUT

Microsoft is giving away a free Xbox 360 if you buy any Windows 7 computer that costs more than $699 (you have to be a student which I am)

I'm really tempted...seems like this is one of those deals that you can't refuse/too good to be true.

What should I do?

It's not too good to be true. 360's easily go for $120 nowadays. I wouldn't do it imo

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
Don't ruin yourself and your school carrier by going down the Wind'ohs route. Just think about all the hassles you will have to face, and that just to return your Macbook then decide what PC to get. Ewww. Plus, you may have to deal with the PC section of Best Buy, which makes me rather wish I was getting a full physical at my doctor.

Randizzledante

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
Cause ya know, asking this on a website called MacRumors can't possibly result in biased answers ;)

But seriously. As an Xbox 360/Win7 Laptop owner...stick with the MacBook.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Well, considering a really good 15 inch high res PC laptop might cost ~$1000, plus you get an xbox 360, which is a really fun gaming system, I would do it.

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
If you really want the Xbox, you can return the MBP and wait for Back to School Promotion. Sell the iPod and put the $$$ towards Xbox purchase

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
If you really want the Xbox, you can return the MBP and wait for Back to School Promotion. Sell the iPod and put the $$$ towards Xbox purchase

So far from my "insiders".. There is no Back to school promotion with free iPod this year.

It's going to be a free apple care that comes with it.
Which should be close to 200 dollar value if you can sell it..

motoracer1486

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2006
So far from my "insiders".. There is no Back to school promotion with free iPod this year.

It's going to be a free apple care that comes with it.
Which should be close to 200 dollar value if you can sell it..

My "insiders" say that Apple is going to pay off customers mortgages with the purchase of an iPad...Let's keep our fingers crossed!

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
the cost of the Xbox 360 isn't a big deal to me. It's a $200 or $300 one time purchase. The real kicker is games. New games cost $60 each, how many are you going to buy? I've probably spent already $2000 on games in the last few years. Last year, my xbox 360 died, and about a month ago, even though I don't play games too often, I spent $300 on a brand new Xbox 360, just so I could have one to play on occasion.

also keep in mind, if you're going away for college, you'll need a tv screen to go with the xbox 360. That's an added cost already.

elVince

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
Its been almost 11 months since i touched my xbox... and buying that god damned xbox live just eats away at your wallet, dont do it...

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

BUT

What should I do?

If this is for real and you really have to ask that question, why on earth did you buy such an expensive machine in the first place? I mean you even supposedly paid extra for the hi-res screen, and now you're being lured from Mac to Windows by a 'free Xbox' promotion?! Sounds like you really have no idea what you want or why.

Goohfy

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2011
Wait till B2S sale, and sell of the extra addition and buy the xbox with that money.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
It's a good thing you're still a student, because your post suggest you have a lot to learn.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
After changing over to a MBP I'll probably never buy a Windows pc again. I guess your decision really depends if you play a lot of games and can justify losing the features of OSX.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
And what's the alternative? Sony? Ur kidding right?

The PS3 is (arguably) the better overall console.

OP- depends. If your school doesn't actually require a Mac then by all means go ahead. Windows 7 is pretty good and most modern computers aren't the plastic junk that everyone on here makes them out to be.

For the amount of money you paid for the Pro you can probably get something similar, or better, in terms of specs.

I'd check out the new VAIO SA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.