Just got a Macbook, upgrading questions....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sickassdog13, Jan 22, 2008.

1. sickassdog13 macrumors newbie

sickassdog13

Hi all!

I have been waiting and waiting for the MBP to be updated and i just could not wait any longer as i needed a laptop now. I am new to Mac, so I decided to just pick up a refurbished MB 2.2Ghz white from the applestore website. I figure I can just use this for now until the MBP gets updated later with a Montevina, and give the macbook to my wife. I plan on working with photoshop, music, probably not any videowork, or gaming.

I would like to upgrade the RAM to 4GB since they are so cheap now, and would also like to upgrade the HD to the WD 320GB once I get it in my hands.

now my question is, although, a VERY DUMB one.....

when I upgrade the HD to the new 320GB, do I have to re-install the OS and all the programs onto the new HD? since it will come fresh from the refurb store? Or do I just put in the new HD and just start it up?

sorry for the dumb question....

Thanks!!

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

The HDD will be blank so you have to install the OS on it,it's easy
    to do just hold down the c key(insert disk) while booting up, go into disk
    utility's make sure its GUID and format it hfs+journaled and
    then install the OS

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

A better option would be to buy an external drive enclosure that supports firewire (preferable) or USB and install the new drive in there. Use a program like SuperDuper to make a bootable clone of the drive in the Macbook to the new drive. Boot from it, just to make sure it works. Then swap the drives. If your drive swap doesn't go as planned, then you should be able to boot from the external drive by holding down the option key while restarting the computer. If all goes well, then you have an external drive for use with Time machine or the like.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I am doing this right now as well and hoping to finish it by the end of the day lol... so if i want to restart and boot from my external all i have to do is press option as the computer is restarting is that for somehting else?

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Correct - hold down the option key while the computer restarts. Icons representing the bootable drives attached to the computer will appear once that stage of the boot sequence is reached. Pick one, and continue.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

awesome thx for the help, i ll try that when the time comes, the cloning is tking foreeeeeever,, robably cause I am using usb. and also i had 2 Gbs left free in my old hd:p:eek:

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you told us you had a external(enclosure) id have recommend cloning

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

oh i do i do, i am cloning right now, into the new HD, then i am going to boot from it (external) to see if the cloning worked properly, if so, then i ll just swap the drives...sounds like the right thing to do?

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

it is the best thing to do as it makes sure your new drive is working before installing it (it's a great drive assuming its a WD,ive got one in my pro and have had no probs with it)but you didnt say you had a enclosure in your original post

10. sickassdog13 thread starter macrumors newbie

sickassdog13

This is a great idea! Thanks alot for the info....I can't wait for the MB to get in and try this out. where can I buy one of those enclosures? would macsales.com have them?

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

mine was given to me but I know they got it off ebay if you are going to be using it as an external after all of this I d probably recommend you to get a good one and FireWire too hopefully not USB like mine because it takes for ever

12. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Looks like it, yes. Newegg.com would be another good source for drive enclosures.

13. istanbul05 macrumors member

Would using a USB external Hard Drive work when cloning the original HDD? It would save me from having to buy an enclosure and i already have a External HDD (160GB WD Passport). Would this be okay to clone to and boot up from?

Thanks

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i think so, i don't see why not, but double check with other people here..

15. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

the one with firewire, wouldn t be better just faster , for the difference of price i think i wouldn t bother with the firewire one, i would just wait the 3 hours for 80gb instead of 1 1/2 with firewire..

16. sickassdog13 thread starter macrumors newbie

sickassdog13

Thanks guys, for all your help!

just placed an order for the USB enclosure, 320GB WD HD, & 4GB RAM upgrade.

I'll probably need more help when they all get here! you guys have been so helpful! Thanks alot!!

17. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

no worries, i just did everything you are about to do, so whenevr you get it if you want shoot me a pm i ll give you step by step on how to do it all if you need me to, it is extremely easy

18. sickassdog13 thread starter macrumors newbie

sickassdog13

Thanks Juanster!