Just got a macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mvaj92, Apr 8, 2008.

1. mvaj92 macrumors member

so i just got a macbook for my birthday, and WOW it is cool. so much faster than my dell computer, just got to get used to OS X.

So do any of yall have tips of what to do first on here? Still trying to get used to the whole Mac thing, and any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

2. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Congrats on the new machine. The MacBook's are great laptops, and I'm sure it's a huge upgrade from you Dell. :D

There are a few guides on the internet for learning how to use OS X. It's not really hard at all, just takes a few days. After that, it's a breeze. Also, read up on the issues the MacBook's have, as that will help you in the long run.

Enjoy your MacBook! :)

3. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Enjoy you new toy, I sure love mine. You might want to visit sys prefs and fix the track pad so it can do right click... so the same with the the mouse if it is a mac mouse.
    Good luck and welcome to the club. Someone will be emailing you the secret hand shake info soon... :cool::apple:

4. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

5. JoshLV macrumors regular

6. wedge234 macrumors member

7. wedge234 macrumors member

8. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

This best thing you can do is go through your system preferences one by one.
    Get the feel of your machine,

OS X is powerful by itself, but once you get it customized the way you like it (expose keys, hot corners, dock items, icon sizes, etc) it would be beastly productive for you!

The only downside to that is whenever you use other macs you find that you are not nearly as productive as you are on your own mac! lol

Enjoy your machine!

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats! Check out some of the tutorials. Read your Manuals as well. Stop by the Apple Store for some of the excellent FREE workshops. Check out:

http://www.apple.com/support/osfamily/

These are just for starters. It gets better with more hands-on! :cool:

10. Uoila macrumors member

quicksilver

I will second the Quicksilver recommendation.

11. Ferrari83 macrumors newbie

Do u need Vmware fusion or parallel OR just boot camp:p

12. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

sweet, thanks for everyone's help. And boot camp would be just fine :D

13. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

I have used and have all three of them. I have found what works best for me is boot camp as it runs windows natively and apple supplies all the necessary drivers for the Mac hardware. The software solutions like Parallels and VmWare have issues with direct X and when they update their software many have problems.

I personally have only had minor issues with either software vendors. But I got tired of this game uses direct x 7 (example) and it runs and then another game won't etc etc etc. Then there's the different versions of direct x.

So, I said the hell with it and installed bootcamp and IM glad I did. Now all the games I wish to run work well, even the latest simcity societies works great where many PC users can not even get it to run.

Additionally using boot camp saves you the $$$$ as you don't need the proprietary software. Of course for any of theses 3 choices one needs a legal copy of windows. While on the legal copy issue, many users of the "software choices" (parrallels and vmware) when updating their software have had to re install windows and they they run into the windows genuine advantage crap. Something worth thinking about!

This is just my opinion and personal experience. I do not wish to debate it with others here. Best suggestion is to visit the respective software vendor sites and read the forums yourself. Then make what you think is your best choice.

Like I said, I have actually used all 3 and boot camp is far better for my uses. Best wishes in your choice. ;)

14. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

I think it's a good idea to have boot camp as well as VM Ware or Parallels...for most tasks, they do fine. I've run Matlab (a fairly bulky math programming software) in Parallels and it runs faster and more seamlessly in Parallels than the native Mac version does. Parallels can get buggy occasionally, and for those times, boot camp is always good to have.

15. Uoila macrumors member

both

I would have to agree. They are best used together. Boot Camp is basically dual booting which works well if you only want to use windows by its self at native speed (for games, etc.).

For those times when you just have to use a general app and speed isn't as important, parallels or Fusion are great. I do exactly that. I use Boot Camp for games and the rest of the time i run OSX with windows full screen in a separate space. Its a great solution, and with enough ram it works perfectly.

16. mvaj92 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the input, i think im going to stick with bootcamp for now, just need to get a copy of windows.
    Think im going to upgrade RAM from 1gb to either 2 or 4. The prices for ram seam reasonable now.