just got a mbp 13 in. but now.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sk8r1230, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

hey guys i just picked up the standard 2.66ghz mbp 13in with the c2d. the more i have been reading the more i wonder if i need to return this for the 15in with the new processor and graphics card. basically im worried ive bought something that is already out dated. i use my computer for web surfing, moderate pic editing, itunes, email, and some gaming like counterstrike source, starcraft 2, and age of empires 3....nothing super crazy. would it be in my best interest to return this and go for the 15 in i5 with the 330m card. this is a large investment for me so i want to be sure it will be up to date and capable for a long time to come.

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

With games you'll see improvement, with the rest the C2D 2.66GHz is half asleep. You won't notice much there from the i5 CPU. Also, there's a big difference between the 15" and 13" in terms of portability.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The real question to the OP is did you buy the 13" because it was cheaper than a 15" or did you buy the 13" because you wanted a 13"? If you need the 13" smaller size then keep it. Buying the 15" just because it's more powerful won't work out for you in the long run if it ends up feeling too big to haul around. At that point the power of the 15" will not outweigh the portability of the 13" and honestly, don't get caught up in the Core i5 hoopla unless you're really going to use it in terms of encoding or something that really will benefit from the multi-core processing. The 13" is a very capable machine.

4. aohus macrumors 68000

no, you didn't make a mistake. new update 10.6.5 will address graphics card driver issues, thereby improving the performance of your GT 320M.

how mobile are you going to be though? if you're running around all day stick with the 13". If you're largely stationary at long periods of time, I'd switch to 15".

And if money is an issue, i'd reorder for 2.4ghz + 4GB ram. or get it straight from microcenter for $999.

5. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

While it is a capable machine, the core i3/i5/i7s are in right now. So it will be outdated no matter what. And in a year or less the core i3/i5/i7s will be outdated. Such is technology.

But it seems like your machine is fine what you use it for. So there would be no point to go towards the new machines with the improved processors and graphics cards. Unless you just want to do it to make yourself feel better!

6. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

well im a fireman so every third day the computer would come with me to work were it would sit in my lap or on a table. i have owned two sony's that were both 15in wide screen devices but were very heavy. seems that the 15in mac isnt as heavy as the other machines i had in the past. i dont do alot of travel as far as flight or ground (unless its to the fire station for a 24hr shift). dont get me wrong im in love with and truly a believer of the mac world but now its down to which one:/

7. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

also, is there any noticable heat generation differences between the two...this 13 runs very very cool and quiet but i want to make sure the 15 would run just the same

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Keep in mind that you're probably going to end up with a restocking fee to deal with if you take back your 13" and that will just add to the cost of the 15".

9. JJC80 macrumors member

Is this your first Mac? :)

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If the poster upgrades to the 15", the poster will more than likely avoid the restocking fee.

I think you probably bought the wrong computer too. You should have if you were going to get a 13", gone with the base model, as the upgraded model is not worth the $300 for the slightly faster clock speed and only slightly bigger harddrive, or you should get the base 15" because the processor is actually faster and the discrete graphics will mean more playable games in the future. Then the 15" is more usable for longer durations, meaning the 13" will start to feel small after a couple hours of use. I say this from experience, but my 13" is mostly used for classroom use (an hour or two at a time) or working away from my home, which only happens a few times each semester.
    The upgraded 13" is really a $150 overpriced at the minimum.

11. aohus macrumors 68000

to be honest, i think you're fine with your current system setup based upon what you do with it (mild gaming, photo editing, internet browsing).

if you're used to your 15inch screen space, I would go 15. With regards to specs, there is NO difference from the specs you have, and the specs the 15" has, except for the GT 330M nvidia card, therefore, it boils down to how much you game, and how much importance you put on it. If you find yourself gaming everyday, going up to 15" would be a wiser choice, but you're not going to find a huge gain in performance by going from GT320M to GT330M. That will only affect graphic heavy tasks such as gaming.

If money and time isn't an issue for you, go 15 inch. Personally for me, I'd stick with the 13" and add a SSD card in there. Everyone just assumes that higher clock speed (Ghz) = faster performance. Not always true, as other components of a notebook/desktop computer can cause bottleneck. So even if you have a 2.66ghz processor, you're not utilizing the full potential of it if you're running a 5400rpm HDD.

12. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

yes it is my first mac (other than the beast i played oregon trail on in elementary school:)) and no restocking fee...i checked:).

13. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

If I were you, I would exchange it for a Base 15” model. You get more for your money with the base 15” than with an upgraded 13”.

14. aohus macrumors 68000

wow you gave 0 reason as to why 15 would be better than a 13. how the hell is he getting more bang for his buck?

15. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

id really appreciate some more help guys...especially concerning the heat output difference if any

16. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I have the 13" and it is great for using the internet, watching video, word processing, some gaming, music, etc. Most everyday items work great.

The 15" is a better upgrade if you need more screen space and don't mind the computer a little less portable and of course it has a better graphics card and the anti-glare option.

I have compared both models side by side and the 15" in my option is quite larger in size and does not feel as portable at least for my needs.

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

What's your main computer?

18. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The question to ask yourself is which computer do you LIKE more?

FORGET about future proofing and being outdated. We have 13" and 15" MBP's and more Mac's in our offices. The 13" is very fast, capable, cool, no fan noise, minimal heat, (more while gaming) and very easy to take with you anywhere, whether it's from the couch to bed to the kitchen table, or to work...

The 15" runs no warmer or louder in my experience. It will feel 'clunkier and bulky' compared to the 13" ... not as pleasant to use on your lap and move everywhere.

I'd go by the screen real estate and simply ask yourself, based on your use experience which computer do you enjoy using / typing / carrying more. Then it's an easy decision.

Personally, I love my 13" MBP and I have my choice of 15" MBP's and Air's to choose from ... I've bought many in the past two years for my company ... (haven't bought any 17" MBP yet, but I'm curious to try one someday, for in office/home use only).

19. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

While I did say that the 13" starts to feel cramped after a few hours of use, I would not trade it for any other laptop. I love everything about it besides the glossy display, but its an easy compromise. It really fits my needs perfectly.

My desktop computer is an old P4 tower, and I partially got the macbook pro to do all my heavy lifting (CS major). I then just plug my macbook pro up to my 24" UltraSharp, keyboard, and mouse.

Even though, I have no capable gaming machine currently, my setup is ideal for what I need to concentrate on, school.

20. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

well guys i went with the 15in 2.4 i5 and have no regrets! i decided this as i have no main computer...this one has to do all the jobs of a desktop and a portable machine....i feel it fits me best. the size is a lil big for carrying but i bought a nice case with it for traveling which helps very much.

21. 3lionsbecks Suspended

3lionsbecks

15" is the perfect size for a laptop....13" is too small and 17" is too big.

Congrats on getting a great Mac, Enjoy!

22. mark28 macrumors 68000

Based on benchmarks.

In games, the 13 inch 2010 MBP runs more cool.

23. sk8r1230 thread starter macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

hey i have noticed the increase in temp when playing as i picked it up last night but im ok with it...i went with the 2.4 i5. any really difference between the 2.4 and 2.5 i5? also i take it the i5 at 2.4 still beats the c2d at 2.66 correct?

24. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

25. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

Why are you so hung up on the heat issue? All laptops get hot when you use them. I moved from a 13 inch to my current 17 inch and didn't notice a difference. To answer your other question, the 15 inch is NOT a heavy laptop. I'm not sure who these stick-armed guys that are saying that are coming from, but my 17 inch isn't heavy in the slightest (6.6 lbs for a 17 inch laptop is awesome). Now, I understand that lot's of PC laptops out there are basically bricks with screens attached in terms of weight, but the Apple machines are not.